'Get rid of tape' - Migrate 1 PB of exchange data from TSM app encrypted tape to disk.

kalyansesetty

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Data backups are for disaster recovery (DR) and data archives are for discovery. The purpose of both of them is really what makes them different. A data backup is for recovery or restoring lost or corrupted files. So if you accidentally deleted a file or a bunch of files, or you had a double disk failure in a RAID 5 array, and you need to restore things to the way they previously looked, that's what backups are for. Or say something bad happened to your files yesterday, you might want to restore them to two days ago or three days ago. Or if you want to get a version of a file from a few weeks or months ago, you can use your backup application.

Thanks for pitching in. Let me give you more detail on the issue I am facing.
We have PB of data sitting on LTO5 encrypted tapes. It was encrypted using TSM application(device class).
Task - We wanted to convert all the exchange backup data on tapes to feed into Index engine database. Index engine - application which creates index of the tapes/data and makes it easy to search(also called e-discovery). I understand it is an archive solution.
Issue - Index engine cannot read TSM LTO5 tapes due to encryption enabled. We have to decrypt them by moving to disk(FILE device class). To move PB of data to disk can take 4-6 months. We have 3 months of time to complete this task.

I am looking for vendors like Index Engine who can read TSM LTO5 encrypted tapes so that we can eliminate TSM move data process.

Thanks for pitching in. Let me give you more detail on the issue I am facing.
We have PB of data sitting on LTO5 encrypted tapes. It was encrypted using TSM application(device class).
Task - We wanted to convert all the exchange backup data on tapes to feed into Index engine database. Index engine - application which creates index of the tapes/data and makes it easy to search(also called e-discovery). I understand it is an archive solution.
Issue - Index engine cannot read TSM LTO5 tapes due to encryption enabled. We have to decrypt them by moving to disk(FILE device class). To move PB of data to disk can take 4-6 months. We have 3 months of time to complete this task.

I am looking for vendors like Index Engine who can read TSM LTO5 encrypted tapes so that we can eliminate TSM move data process.
Hello,
I'm not sure...
try this:
- define a new unencrypted device class
- create a new stgpool which uses this MC
- define this stgpool as the next pool of the encrypted stgpool
- migrate the encryped stgpool.

Back