TSM 7.1.3. Copy Pool or replicated to another TSM server ?

DavrosDalek

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

We are currently running tsm 7.1.3 on windows. We do not have a copy pool, i know we should have one. I'm fed up trying to exlain why we should have one to those who hold the purse strings.... Thats out of my control.

But...

What i can do now (at last) is either have a copy pool in a remote site (300 miles away, connectivity is a 10GB network). It would be an iSCSI target(s) that i could use as a copy pool or i could have another tsm server and replicate to it in the remote site.

Question is: Whats the better option ?

1) Remote copypool and tsm database backup from the primary site on the remote site
2) Remote tsm server that i replicate to on the remote site.

Kidn Regards
Craig

Question is: Whats the better option ?

1) Remote copypool and tsm database backup from the primary site on the remote site
2) Remote tsm server that i replicate to on the remote site.

Both options require similar resources, but Option 2 is better because you have a live server up and running at the other end. If the primary site goes down, you can restore all your TSM Clients at an alternate data center using the target server without manual intervention. With option 1, you need to restore the DB and make the copy pool available.

We are currently running tsm 7.1.3 on windows. We do not have a copy pool, i know we should have one. I'm fed up trying to exlain why we should have one to those who hold the purse strings.... Thats out of my control.
You can go at it another way. Instead of focusing on the cost of having offsite copies (tape in a vault or replication). Focus on the cost of not having one. In recent years, there are plenty of natural disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, etc.). There's always the risk of fire damage too. So what's the cost of losing all your data? Because if you lose the entire data center to a disaster, you lose all the data. To a lesser extent, your offsite copy also protects you against damaged volumes in the primary pool, both disks and tapes can become corrupt. It's not a big deal for current data, you just back it up again, but if it's historical data, you can recover if from an offsite copy or lose it forever if you lose the only copy.

Thanks for your replies, i agree option 2 is the better one :)

Craig

Thanks for your replies, i agree option 2 is the better one :)

Craig
If you need "materials" for such a speech to your manager/supervisor just go to any page of enterprise backup vendor they are full with content and how to scare people with loose of data :)

Back