Backing up DFS with TSM best practices

Rhuobhe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello we have a growing DFS environment that we have been backing up for the past few years. We generally have the baclient installed of the windows fileservers and recover that way but now the shares are being hosted more and more on NAS storage (Equallogic) where we cannot install a local baclient. The method we opted to backup data is to replicate the NAS to a DR site (another NAS) and have a proxy server running the baclient backing up the replica data. The problem here is that the process of backing up multiple UNC paths is getting difficult to manage and we also cannot backup NTFS permissions here.

I am not well versed with DFS but i've been reading about specialized ways to backup the DFS through DFS Replication sites. There is also a small section on the baclient manual about Microsoft DFS protection methods and how we coudl configure a backup of the DFS link metadata separate from the actual data or both. My primary goal really is to be able to backup the permissions/structure and then the data. I just think there is a better way for us to backup these DFS shares using Tivoli but not enough skill set to know what to do.

Please help I would really appreciate any advise, Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

Is NDMP not an option?

If they don't mind slow backups and restores, that would be an option.

The quickest way is to do snapshots if the NAS device has the ability. For long term requirements:

1. the snapshots can be restored a volume and backed up by TSM,
2. if the NAS device talks to TSM (like Netapp through Snap Center, etc), direct backups to tape or any TSM media is possible