DRM mountable tapes are not utilized fully

Santosh87

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello All,

I am working in TSM 7.1.3.0, trying to move tapes to vault from mountable state. But these tapes are not 100% utilized. Anyone know why ?
Also can I use them again untill they becomes 100% utilized?

PREDATAR Control23

But these tapes are not 100% utilized. Anyone know why ?
What's volume status? Full or filling? It's also normal for tapes to be sent offsite when not full. When you do your backup stgpool, there usually won't be enough data to fill all the tapes for that day to full capacity. The last tape of each process will be filling and not 100% utilized. You still have to send it to the vault.
Also can I use them again untill they becomes 100% utilized?
If the status if Full, you won't be able to. If the status is Filling, TSM can still write to them.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello Marclant, thank you for the reply. The tape's state is showing full but are very utilized like less than 10%.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello Marclant, thank you for the reply. The tape's state is showing full but are very utilized like less than 10%.
Hello,
when a tape reach the EOT TSM mark it as full. The volume stay in this state untill it become empty.
During the full and empty status the volume occupancy decrease (due to expiration followed by the reclamation process).
This is the same for primary tape volume.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello, Santosh87... A few things you can check:

1) Check to make sure your tape and drive formats configured in TSM match what the tape really is. As stated above, TSM marks the tape full when it reaches an EOT marker regardless of how much data is actually on the tape. This kind of thing is typically seen when compression is enabled and something like a 2:1 or 3:1 is 'expected' but in reality it's less and you'll see a tape full well before the 'expected' capacity is written.

2) Check collocation settings and ensure things are set the way you think they are. I've seen instances where collocation is turned on and a single node or backupset gets written to a tape and then the tape is marked as full. Also check retention and reclamation settings.

3) If the tape is still in the library, do a move data to re-write the data onto a new tape and empty the existing tape and watch the percentage. It is also possible that you just have bad tapes - I've seen this too (especially back in the AIT2/3 days where it was not uncommon to get a whole box of bad tapes from Sony).

4) If you're really feeling daring you can delete the volume and backup the storage pool again which will recreate the missing data but only if you're feeling daring and have a full database backup and know that I'll deny any knowledge of this recommendation (but I've done it myself, many times).

Oh, do a q vol <vol_name> f=d and see if that shows anything of interest as well.

-b