Move archive data from one TSM node to another

CharlieTSM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Is it possible to move only the ARCHIVE data from one node to another node within TSM server?

I don't want to remove the old node, just move its archive data

Thanks

No you can't. You would have to re-archive the data using the new node you want as the owner.

You can rename a node, but that won't work if the new node already exists and already has data.

No you can't. You would have to re-archive the data using the new node you want as the owner.

You can rename a node, but that won't work if the new node already exists and already has data.

You might say that this is "another one for the wish list of new features" on the next TSM version. Probably TSM 8.x?

Thanks for that info

Lets say now that I could create a new node to archive this data from this other node.
What would I need to do to move the archive to this new node?

Best regards

What would I need to do to move the archive to this new node?
You can't move it.

You have to do a new archive as the new node. So configure the client that has the data to use the new node and perform a new archive of the data (assuming it still exists).

If the data no longer exists on the client, you will need to retrieve it using the original node, then re-archive it using the new node.

If you meant only within TSM Server database, then no.
If you mean within your infrastructure, you can do something like this(during the timeframe neither source nor destination nodes would be missed):
rename node <target_node_name> <tmp_target_node_name>
rename node <source_node_name> <target_node_name>
export node <target_node_name> filedata=archive ...
(wait for export to finish)
rename node <target_node_name> <source_node_name>
rename node <tmp_target_node_name> <target_node_name>
import node ...
delete filespace <source_node_name> * type=archive

Whether it's worth doing is another matter and something you have to consider yourself.

You can't move it.

You have to do a new archive as the new node. So configure the client that has the data to use the new node and perform a new archive of the data (assuming it still exists).

If the data no longer exists on the client, you will need to retrieve it using the original node, then re-archive it using the new node.

Hello,

I have a bit similar situation. Time ago our data were archived by node1, than we setup some rules and started to archive all requested data from node2. Now this original node1 is long time dead. Data can be accessed thru dsm -virtualnode={other nodename}, but I want to remove this old node1. So how can I transfer old archived data registration from non-existing node1 to newer node2? It is about 16TB, not so easy..

I am also curious, can this data be deduplicated? I guess there might be some similar data in node1 as in node2.

Thanks for your advices..

Anna

Back