Copy to cloud

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

We are looking at ways to store our data (or subset) to the cloud & eliminate having to ship physical media offsite every week. I know v7 supports cloud stg pools and there seems to be a big push for this, although I think we need to store everything locally and set up a copy stg pool to the cloud. Can this be done? Does anyone have experience with Openstack (Swift or Cinder) and Amazon S3? Are there better options? There seems to be very little info out there on the subject.

PREDATAR Control23

This is not an answer to your question but I would like to point out issues that one should consider when using the cloud:

1. How sensitive is your data?
2. If you lost data in the cloud, would your company be subject to legal actions, etc? (there is always something on the fine print about this from any cloud provider: not legally liable, etc.)
3. Assuming that data is not sensitive (really, can't be since backups are created!), is the company willing to wait for long restore times in case the primary system is not available?

Since I am also a security professional, I frown at solutions that I could not touch or see, and the cloud is one such solution. Given the rate of hacking attacks, I believe that cloud technology is not safe if your data is sensitive, legally binding, and can cause the business to collapse if lost.

Once more, my two cents.

PREDATAR Control23

I know v7 supports cloud stg pools and there seems to be a big push for this, although I think we need to store everything locally and set up a copy stg pool to the cloud. Can this be done?
Not exactly. The cloud container pools can only be primary pools, not copy pools. So you are essentially storing a single copy offsite and rely on the cloud provider. If you want two copies, then you would need 2 TSM Servers with node replication, one or both TSM servers could be using cloud containers.

Are there better options?
Today, you only have 2 options: IBM® SoftLayer or OpenStack Swift
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...v.common/r_techchg_srv_stgpool_cloud_713.html

If you want to know more about container pool, there are a series of videos on the Spectrum Protect YouTube channel. Here's a link to the first one in a series of 4 videos:

PREDATAR Control23

To follow up on this thread, I was able to set up an AWS-S3 storage gateway, mount drives on my TSM server (Linux) and create a native storage pool (not container). It's obviously slower than local drives, but you can speed things up a little by setting up the AWS pool as a NEXT stg pool for a local disk pool. It's not in "production" yet, but seems to work.

PREDATAR Control23

The video series on the Spectrum Protect YouTube channel is really helpful. Thanks