TSM Disaster Recovery Problems with Server 2012 and UEFI

rzTSM

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello Guys,

we try to do a disaster recover with a Windows Server 2012 with UEFI, but at the moment we stuck and need some help.

We created a Windows PE with a TSM client and we backuped the Server with "dsmc backup". We added the line "SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS" to backup data like "NTUSER.Dat" as well.
The log said the backup was successful:
"
Incremental backup of volume '\\win-igabi6cvc38\c$'

Incremental backup of volume 'SYSTEMSTATE'
Preparing to backup 'c:' using 'VSS' snapshot.
Preparing to backup '\\?\volume{bdf849a0-5f2a-11e2-93e7-806e6f6e6963}' using 'VSS' snapshot.
Performing Snapshot Operation...

Snapshot operation completed with return code = 0.
[...]
Successful incremental backup of 'WIN-IGABI6CVC38\SystemState\NULL\System State\SystemState'
[...]
Successful incremental backup of '\\win-igabi6cvc38\c$'
[...]"

Then we booted the Windows PE and tried to restore the system...but here is a problem.
We can not restore the systemstate !
After "dsmc restore systemstate" we get this:
"
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup-Archive Client Interface
Client Version 6, Release 4, Level 0.0
Client date/time: 01/16/2013 10:09:18
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: Nodename
Session established with server Servername: AIX
Server Version 6, Release 2, Level 3.0
Server date/time: 01/16/2013 10:09:17 Last access: 01/16/2013 10:07:40

Restore System State using shadow copy...
Restoring
[...]

Total number of objects restored: 16
Total number of objects failed: 0
Total number of bytes transferred: 5.05 MB
Data transfer time: 0.68 sec
Network data transfer rate: 7,544.06 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate: 1,162.27 KB/sec
Elapsed processing time: 00:00:04

Waiting for pre-restore to complete ['.'].
ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed. "

I thought I can see something in the Errorlog, but the log is nearly empty:
"ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed."

Has anybody some ideas, information or sth. ?

Thanks for helping
RzTSM

PREDATAR Control23

The ASR method is not supported with EFI:
An alternative method for full recovery of Windows systems using Tivoli Storage Manager is described in another paper, Modified Instructions for Complete Restores of Windows Systems with the TSM Client: Bare Metal Restore (BMR), System State Restore, Windows System Object Restore. This method works well for Windows XP, Windows 2003, and Windows 2003 R2. However, the complexities of restoring later Windows operating systems stretch that method to its limits. Further, Microsoft disclaims support for "online system state restore", which is the basis of that method. Therefore, with one exception, ASR is the recommended "best practice" for performing bare metal restores of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and later Windows operating systems.

The exception to using ASR with Windows operating systems is for 64-bit systems whose firmware interface is based on Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) rather than Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). EFI-based systems must use the aforementioned "Modified Instructions ..." procedure. This restriction is described by documentation APAR IC74769.
source: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...+Recovering+Windows+Server+2012+and+Windows+8

PREDATAR Control23

I have checked and System Boot Mode is set Legacy Mode. The more I read and the longer working with TSM I thing it is not the best backup windows aplication :)

PREDATAR Control23

I have checked and System Boot Mode is set Legacy Mode.
Ok, but you replied to a post on restoring an UEFI machine, so it was a fair assumption that you were restoring a UEFI machine.

Many of the issues I have seen are from not following the instructions to the letter: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...+Recovering+Windows+Server+2012+and+Windows+8
The other thing is not using current software as some issues are already addressed in new fixes, that applies to Windows itself before doing the backup, to TSM, and to WinPE.

Also, the devil is in the details, unless you have the same exact errors to the fine details, then you are not necessarily having the same problem as the OP. Can you give us the errors that you get when doing the restore? Can you include the full output like the OP did starting with the client version info.

PREDATAR Control23

The second method "Modified ...", works well for older OS, Windows 95, 2000, XP, etc., but not for newer versions. The ASR method works best and it's also the only method Microsoft supports to restore Windows. I agree with you that the ASR method is complex., you can simplify it by purchasing Christie Bare Metal Restore, which essentially uses ASR, but automates it.

PREDATAR Control23

We have BladeCenter & Flex System Blade Servers, Legacy Mode, TSM server Version 7.1.2.0, TSM client 7.1., Win 2012 R2. I work with this "Best Practices for Recovering Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8" instruction. My error:
Waiting for pre-restore to complete ['.'].
ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed.

PREDATAR Control23

For the client version, the only catch is the restore must be performed with the same or newer version than the backup was taken with.

You may need to open a call with IBM, not much online for your problem, so likely not many people encountered it.

PREDATAR Control23

Many thx, i will send an email tomorrow to IBM and i will let you know when i get any news.

PREDATAR Control23

The same problem here:

TSM server: v7.1.5
Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2
TSM client: v7.1.4.4
Client OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 (UEFI)
Windows PE: v5.0
Waiting for pre-restore to complete ['o_'].
ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed.

Vilius M.

PREDATAR Control23

I opened PMR on this and and also asked about this:
https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?threads/asr-for-windows-x64-uefi-supported-or-not.30867/

So ASR for Windows x64 EFI machines IS supported for v7.1 clients.

It appears that "Best Practices for Recovering Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8" instruction is not very up-to-date and command for making WinPE image was for bios systems not for efi. So my original command was:
Code:
> oscdimg -m -n -o -bc:\winpe_x64\fwfiles\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x64\media c:\winpe_x64.iso
Now command to build EFI WinPE image:
Code:
> oscdimg -m -n -o -bootdata:2#p0,e,bc:\winpe_x64\fwfiles\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bc:\winpe_x64\fwfiles\efisys.bin c:\winpe_x64\media c:\winpe_x64.iso

I booted this new WinPE and "ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed" error was gone.
I'm not sure that this will resolve original poster's problem but it resolved mine.

Vilius M.

PREDATAR Control23

Oooo Vilius.m I have read your post few moments ago :) I will test your way.

PREDATAR Control23

Vilius M. Are you use ADK or AIK to create the WinPe?

PREDATAR Control23

I use "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Update" which creates WinPE v5.0

However this problem looks far from solved - my post resolved error above, but now other errors showed up, and I'm still unable to complete systemstate restore successfully.
Discussions with IBM support continues...

PREDATAR Control23

As long as IBM can't solved the problem I use this instruction:
"Modified Instructions for Complete Restores..."
It is very slow way but I added a image to my v7000 Storwize with fresh Windows 2012 R2 and TSM 7.1. Now I have to only:
- dsm.opt
- IP
- server name
- domain
- dsmc restore c:\* -sub=yes -rep=all
- dsmc restore systemstate
and reboot

PREDATAR Control23

I tried restore with EFI winpe image and the restore went fine... except c:\windows\system32\config has neither registry files nor bcd template.

There was something wrong with the systemstate recovery but it seemed to be about /efi/boot files which can be repaired. I have to run it again and pay more attention.

But this is progress, thank you :)

PREDATAR Control23

We have solved the problem.

Dsm.opt:
NODENAME …
TCPSERVERADDRESS …
DOMAIN all-local
TCPCLIENTPort 1501
ERRORLOGRETENTION 7 D
MAXCMDRETRIES 4
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 10 D
COMPRESSION YES