TDP for Databases...how many schedulers?

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I started working with OC and I'm looking to reduce "false" warnings.
I used a single TSM scheduler to perform "hourly" RedoLog backups and daily full online database backup. The problem is that while the full backup is running all the redolog backups go missed.
Did someone face the same problem? How did you solve? I was thinking to add a second scheduler just for the redologs.

Thanks.

I have been through this and the only way to resolve this is to fire up a "TEST Script" (part of the dsm.opt as PRE-SCHED) that senses if a LOG or FULL/DIFF backup is running and aborts the backup schedule if test=POSITIVE.

Hi moon-buddy,
I think I got what are you saying run a presched that "if something-is-running then skip" but I think it would raise an error on the event table, am I wrong?

Hi moon-buddy,
I think I got what are you saying run a presched that "if something-is-running then skip" but I think it would raise an error on the event table, am I wrong?

Nope if the schedule exits with the right code.

I use two nodes. One called SQL_SERVER_FULL, and one called SQL_SERVER_LOG. You need to create two schedules on your sql host, but that is trivial. All the data resides in the FULL nodes. This way, they will not mingle, and I get log backup while full backup is running.

Works like a charm

Off Post, how can i post a new query here, i couldn't find any place to post some tsm queries, i recently signedup for adsm.org though surfing for years.
Do i need to get some approvals even after email id verfication?
Please help

Off Post, how can i post a new query here, i couldn't find any place to post some tsm queries, i recently signedup for adsm.org though surfing for years.
Do i need to get some approvals even after email id verfication?
Please help

Click on the FORUMS tab and open the appropriate topic (EX: TSM Operation) for your post (click on it).

Once the topic of choice is opened, look at the middle right side (scroll down a little) for "Post New Thread".

Click on the FORUMS tab and open the appropriate topic (EX: TSM Operation) for your post (click on it).

Once the topic of choice is opened, look at the middle right side (scroll down a little) for "Post New Thread".
Thanks alot got it now :)

I use two nodes. One called SQL_SERVER_FULL, and one called SQL_SERVER_LOG. You need to create two schedules on your sql host, but that is trivial. All the data resides in the FULL nodes. This way, they will not mingle, and I get log backup while full backup is running.

Works like a charm
Hi Trident, I think I miss how you can have two nodes (FULL and LOG) and put all data on the "FULL node" without granting proxynode and use asnode option.
I can't remember, but I think this is "easier" on a SQL environment as you must grant proxynode to "physical nodes".

Hi Trident, I think I miss how you can have two nodes (FULL and LOG) and put all data on the "FULL node" without granting proxynode and use asnode option.
I can't remember, but I think this is "easier" on a SQL environment as you must grant proxynode to "physical nodes".

Trident is talking about creating two nodes that (1) does only FULLs and (2) does only Transaction LOGS.

You don't need proxynode or asnode settings.

By the way, if your SQL is SQL 2000 and below, you cannot run LOG backups while FULLS/DIFFS are running and vice-versa. This has been 'lifted' on SQL 2005 and beyond.

Last edited:
Trident is talking about creating two nodes that (1) does only FULLs and (2) does only Transaction LOGS.

You don't need proxynode or asnode settings.

By the way, if your SQL is SQL 2000 and below, you cannot run LOG backups while FULLS/DIFFS are running and vice-versa. This has been 'lifted' on SQL 2005 and beyond.
Yes, you're right, but what do you think he meant when he wrote "All the data resides in the FULL nodes"?
I thought he was talking about a TSM node and that the "LOG node" was writing data as "FULL node".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

As long as you keep all the data in one node, you can call ig whatever. I have configured the tdpsql settings to use the _full nodes when doing restores. It made my dba's happy. The important point is to keep two differen schedules.

Or you can use ms internal cron task to do the backups.

Back