Excl Directory *\...\.TsmCacheDir TSM
Excl Directory c:\Windows\system32\microsoft\protect Operating System
Excl Directory C:\Windows\winsxs Operating System
Excl Directory C:\Windows\Vss\Writers Operating System
Excl Directory C:\Windows\Tasks Operating System
Excl Directory C:\Windows\system32\wbem\repository Operating System
Excl Directory C:\Windows\System32\Tasks Operating System

... And about a billion entrys.

My question is why is C:\Windows\System32\Tasks excluded as default? No matter how i setup my dsm.opt file, the entry is still excluded.

As far as i can see the Task schedules in Windows is stored in this folder, and its extremely critical that we can restore this in a BMR.

Excl Directory C:\Windows\System32\Tasks Operating System
All files that show up as excluded by "Operating System" are excluded by Windows itself from the filesystem backup of C:, however those are typically files that are included in the SystemState backup.

Everytime the TSM Client starts, using VSS, it queries all the VSS writers for include and excludes, as well as dsm.opt and client option set (if you have any). The VSS System Writer is the one that is responsible for system files. Since all the system files are part of the System State, they are excluded from the C: drive backup.
As far as i can see the Task schedules in Windows is stored in this folder, and its extremely critical that we can restore this in a BMR.
In a BMR, you would restore system state, so you are covered.

You can valide that using:
Code:
dsmc query backup "{MACHINE_NAME\SystemState\NULL\System State\SystemState}\windows\system32\tasks\*"
Replace MACHINE_NAME with the actual name of the machine. The part between { } is case sensitive, it should be in the same format as in the query filespace output.

All files that show up as excluded by "Operating System" are excluded by Windows itself from the filesystem backup of C:, however those are typically files that are included in the SystemState backup.

Everytime the TSM Client starts, using VSS, it queries all the VSS writers for include and excludes, as well as dsm.opt and client option set (if you have any). The VSS System Writer is the one that is responsible for system files. Since all the system files are part of the System State, they are excluded from the C: drive backup.

In a BMR, you would restore system state, so you are covered.

You can valide that using:
Code:
dsmc query backup "{MACHINE_NAME\SystemState\NULL\System State\SystemState}\windows\system32\tasks\*"
Replace MACHINE_NAME with the actual name of the machine. The part between { } is case sensitive, it should be in the same format as in the query filespace output.

Hello,

Thank you so much for that detailed description, regarding my question :)

I have a couple of further questions, regarding your info.

1. Is there any way to view the VSS Excludes somewhere in Windows (Regedit, etc)?
2. Why do i have to put brackets around the first part of the command? "{MACHINE_NAME\SystemState\NULL\System State\SystemState}\windows\system32\tasks\*"

1. Is there any way to view the VSS Excludes somewhere in Windows (Regedit, etc)?
You can use diskshadow, more info here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21699984 In your case, you just want to get the writer information.

2. Why do i have to put brackets around the first part of the command? "{MACHINE_NAME\SystemState\NULL\System State\SystemState}\windows\system32\tasks\*"
The squiggly brackets are to indicate that this string of text is a filespace name.

Back