TSM VE failing on Independent Disks?

BDMcGrew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good morning... I'm not positive this is the correct place to put this and may cross post it to the VMware forums but it looked like as good as any place to start...

Running TSM VE 7.1.3 for VMware on Windows 2012R2 Server. I was getting the following error in my console when trying to back up a particular VM:

-----
ERROR ANS4174E Full VM backup of VMware Virtual Machine 'tsm03' failed with RC=4381 mode=Incremental Forever - Incremental, target node name='VMW_LHCFUN-DC01', data mover node name='VMW_LHCFUN-DC01_DM'
-----

and then in the dsmerror.VMW... log I would see:

-----
05/01/2016 08:43:54 ANS1734W The virtual machine 'tsm03' contains one or more independent disks. Backups are not supported in this configuration. Specify the '-vmprocessvmwithindependent=yes' option to exclude these disks from the backup.
05/01/2016 08:43:54 ANS4174E Full VM backup of VMware Virtual Machine 'tsm03' failed with RC=4381 mode=Incremental Forever - Incremental, target node name='VMW_LHCFUN-DC01', data mover node name='VMW_LHCFUN-DC01_DM'
05/01/2016 08:43:54 ANS1734W The virtual machine 'tsm03' contains one or more independent disks. Backups are not supported in this configuration. Specify the '-vmprocessvmwithindependent=yes' option to exclude these disks from the backup.
-----

(tsm03 is my reporting/tdpve server that I'm trying to back up).

Now, I know what this means and what causes. The first time around I shut down the server and went into VCenter and got rid of all the (unusued) disks that were independent

is tsm03 your proxy/baclient server? If so, you are gonna wanna remove it from the schedule everything else backs up on and do it seperatly. Looks like the error i got when i tried backing up my proxy server (which is a vm itself) with the rest of the VMs.

Thanks. I did exclude TSM03 from the VE backup set and the good news is the rest of the backups appear to be completing successfully but I still fail trying to backup this one host individually. The TDP still believes there is an independent disk in the VM somewhere but I can't find it. I guess I'll post to the VMware forums and see what that gets me.

Back