Server out of data storage space but why?

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi!

I would like to ask some help...

After i start a backup for an SQL instance, i get error:

Backup failed! ANS1329S Server out of data storage space.

I checked the stgpool (which is LTO4 pool) but it has enough space and it didnt reach the maximum scratch number.

What could be the problem?

Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

ANS1329S Server out of data storage space.
That's a client message, you need to focus on the TSM Server, check the TSM Server activity log (HELP QUERY ACTLOG) around the time you got ANS1329S and before. Here's a list of possibilities, but there are others:
- no scratch tape left
- path to tape drives offline
- tape drives offline
- max scratch reached on the storage pool

You need to find ANR0535W in the activity log and work your way behind.

PREDATAR Control23

That's a client message, you need to focus on the TSM Server, check the TSM Server activity log (HELP QUERY ACTLOG) around the time you got ANS1329S and before. Here's a list of possibilities, but there are others:
- no scratch tape left
- tape drives offline

Thank you!
Im going to do that!

PREDATAR Control23

I checked the path
- no scratch tape left
- tape drives offline

I checked all off that! All path is ok, drives are ok, maxnumscratch ok!
I have no enough scratch tapes...but if i have only one, the job could not use that, just send me an error...server out of data storage space...???
BUT Most of tapes that are in the pool status is full, but it still has space (LTO4, full but the pctutil is 18%...), i dont know why...

PREDATAR Control23

The unused space on a "Full" tape can not be used. You can write to tapes in "Filling" status. You will need to run reclaimation to free that unused space on
full tapes. You are probably at the point where you can't run reclaimation as you don't have enough free space to write out the used part of the full tapes.

Your steps from here should be to add a new tape and then run reclaimation. Sometime like "reclaim stg <storagepool name> th=70" should get your reclaimation started.

PREDATAR Control23

The unused space on a "Full" tape can not be used. You can write to tapes in "Filling" status. You will need to run reclaimation to free that unused space on
full tapes. You are probably at the point where you can't run reclaimation as you don't have enough free space to write out the used part of the full tapes.

Your steps from here should be to add a new tape and then run reclaimation. Sometime like "reclaim stg <storagepool name> th=70" should get your reclaimation started.

Yes, i need more scratch! Reclamation runs every day, but these didnt help now.
We reached the library limit and now, i have to change full tapes (what are in active pool) to scratch.

(But yesterday, the job wasnt able to use the scratches. The problem was (i think..), one day earlier (Wed.) we changed the FC switch what is being used by tsm servers. Last night i restarted the tsm server, then i checked everything again and now jobs can use scratches. I think that the loss of stg connection drove the tsm server mad. )

The original problem, what is the scrtach tape deficit, should be solved.

Than you for your help!

PREDATAR Control23

hi.. Please try updating the MAXSCRATCH parameter of your Storage Pool (on which the this backup goes)

update STG <STGPOOLNAME> maxscratch=100

PREDATAR Control23

hi.. Please try updating the MAXSCRATCH parameter of your Storage Pool (on which the this backup goes)

update STG <STGPOOLNAME> maxscratch=100

MAX scratch is ok! I havent got enough scratch tapes.... and the main problem was the FC switch replacement...