Restore without DIRMC

niemeyerb

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

We've exported a node to a new TSM Server but DIRMC had already expired and is no longer available.

Now I need to restore data from the node but I'm unable to see the directories or files when I call the node opt.

In TSM Server Backup Table I see the files structure on HL_NAME, but Im unable to restore those.

Is it possible to rebuild DIRMC and so be able to restore?

Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

Is it possible to rebuild DIRMC and so be able to restore?
No, but if you could try to restore those files manually, the parent directory should be created during the restore using the HL_NAME. Note that since it's created, not restored, it will inherit the permissions of the parent directory.

So, if you could try, not 100% sure it will work, but worth a try:
dsmc restore C:\ -su=yes
dsmc restore /data -su=yes (assuming /data is a filespace/filesystem)

You could also try using the -pick option with the above.

We've exported a node to a new TSM Server but DIRMC had already expired and is no longer available.
It's one of the reason I never liked DIRMC. I've been working with TSM since it's named TSM, only worked a bit with ADSM. In the earlier days of ADSM (before my time), a directory had to be restored first, in order to restore files in it. That's why a DIRMC going to disk was recommended, so that the restore of the directory did not require a dismount and remount of a different tape to get the directory, then unmount and remount again the original tape to restore the file.

I don't know at which version, but again it was before my time working with TSM (started in 2003), when restoring a filesystem, if a file is being restore and the directory has not been restored yet, it would get created using the HL_NAME of the file, restore the file, and later in the restore when it gets to the tape that has that directory would restore it. So, the advantage of a DIRMC is diminished very much and can also bring disadvantages as you well know.

If the original server is still available, you could do an other export/import with mergefilespace=yes and make sure that the managemement class for DIRMC exists and has a long retention.