Best practices for client option set and dsm.opt file options together?

Tomlinson85

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

folks,

wondering about best practices for creating a general client option set on the server and defining additional options in the dsm.opt file on the client.

have 6 Windows servers needing to be backed up. 4 of these servers are going to be pretty standard as far as generic backup options, but there are another 2 that are going to need additional options as some subdirectories need to be excluded on one of the data volumes on one of the servers.

for instance, I am going to define "all-local" in my client option set so I back up each volume.
One of the servers I need to exclude the following directory: e:\projects\data\2016\...\...\procedures\temp. But I don't want to do that for all the clients of course.
If I just define exclude.backup "e:\projects\data\2016\...\...\procedures\temp" in the dsm.opt file on the client then update my client options set on the TSM server with the generic options will this work as expected?

also thinking of backing up system state on these clients. I have a pretty aggressive backup policy defined and only back up bookmarks and the user's working folder in the users folder on C drive plus all data volumes. if I specify backup systemstate will TSM automatically back up everything I need even if I have excluded the windows\system32 folder in my client options set?

thank you for any and all information.
cheers

PREDATAR Control23

but there are another 2 that are going to need additional options
Those are best handled in dsm.opt
for instance, I am going to define "all-local" in my client option set so I back up each volume.
That's the default anyway, so it's redundant.
If I just define exclude.backup "e:\projects\data\2016\...\...\procedures\temp" in the dsm.opt file on the client then update my client options set on the TSM server with the generic options will this work as expected?
Yes, include/excludes from the client option set are applied first, then those from dsm.opt.
also thinking of backing up system state on these clients. I have a pretty aggressive backup policy defined and only back up bookmarks and the user's working folder in the users folder on C drive plus all data volumes. if I specify backup systemstate will TSM automatically back up everything I need even if I have excluded the windows\system32 folder in my client options set?
Regardless what your include/excludes are, if you backup SystemState, Windows will tell TSM which files are part of systemstate when TSM queries the VSS writers. The include/excludes only apply to filesystem backups (drive letters), but not systemstate.

A backup systemstate is of very little use if you don't backup the whole C: (systemdrive). Otherwise, if the machine dies, you can't restore it if you only have systemstate.