Best Migration method from One TSM server to antoher TSM server 5.5V

emmanuel

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All ,

We are shutting down the TSM server in Site A . So we have another TSM server in Site B. There are 5 nodes have long term retention data and size of data 25 TB. We have not very good band with from two sites. Both Source and destination servers have 5.5 V. Please advise which is best method to migrate the data quickly.

Thanks,
Frank

What is the full version of the TSM Server on the source and target ( 5.5.x.x)?

What os is hosting the TSM Server on the source and target?
If the os on the target is the same as the os that is hosting the source.
On the target install the TSM Server 5.5.0.0.
Still on the target, upgrade the TSM Server to the same level as the TSM Server that is on the source system.
On the source system backup the database.
On the target system, restore the database, delete and redefine the library and drives.
On the TSM Client, update the tcpserveraddress to point to the new TSM Server.
Stop/restart the schedule daemon/service, so that the new updates will be read.
Do a test restore of some files from the TSM Client.

If the source system os is not the same as the target os.
Your only solution is to export and import the TSM Server due to the unlike os.

Good Luck,
Sias

On the source system backup the database.
On the target system, restore the database, delete and redefine the library and drives.
That would only work if the target TSM Server is currently new/empty. The way the OP is talking, it sounds like both the source and target are already in use, in which case an export/import would be the only option.

So we have another TSM server in Site B.
Is the data on the TSM Server?
Does it have access to a tape library?
There are 5 nodes have long term retention data and size of data 25 TB.
What storage is that data on: disk or tape?
Is that storage being moved to Site B and connected to this other TSM Server?

... only work if the target TSM Server is currently new/empty.

Opps. My bad.
I thought that we were moving the TSM Server on to a fresh TSM Server.
If the target system is already hosting a TSM Server 5.5, and we restore the database from the source system. The restoredb is going to over write any data that are currently in the database.
Only solution is to export and import.

Good Luck,
Sias

Thanks to all for the reply. Yes, Both Source and target have data , up and running. Both TSM servers hosted on AIX platforms. The long term kept on tapes. We completely migrating the Clients from site A to site B . We have only concern that how to migrate the long term archive data (some are infinite retention and some are 7 years). We will shutdown completely in Site A. Please advise what are steps to follow to perform export and import ( step by step).

Please advise what are steps to follow to perform export and import ( step by step).
I'm not going to write a step-by-step set of instructions, but I'll point you to the documentation though: https://ibm.biz/Bd4zy4 Check Chapter 22. Since you said that the pipe between the two sites is not good, you will want to export to Sequential Media.

If you have specific questions after reviewing the doc, just post them here.

Hi All,

There are more than 1000 tapes have long term data. So I believe export and import will take long term to complete the migration. We have to complete the migration by this April. I think the best option to create one more instance of 5.5 V on the Site B's TSM server AIX platform. The main purpose of creating the instance to restore the long term data, it will not be used for backup. So what will be the best option ?. Please advise.

Which one of the options is the best will be for you to decide based on your requirements.

So you are up to two options:
1 - export/import to the new server (that's the only way to actually bring in the data into the new server)
2 - or like you said, setup a new instance, move the tape library and connect it to it

I'll add a 3rd option:
- move the current server to the new site along with the library. Once they are in the same building, you could even contemplate doing a server-to-server import/export if you need to get rid of that hardware, it will still be time consuming, but faster than using tape.

Since the old server for long term is likely to remain at 5.5 forever, if you go with option 2, it should be on a different machine than TSM-B otherwise TSM-B will be stuck at V5.5 forever as well.

Back