TSM reporting and monitoring server vs TSMMANAGER

opeth

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

All,
What are your opinions on IBMs TSM Reporting and Monitoring Server package? We are currently running TSMManager and I am wondering if I would gain more functionality and useability if I setup the IBM product.
For those that have used it, what is your opinon?

Edit: Multi TSM server invironment, vtl, mix of VM and normal....

PREDATAR Control23

My two cents:

Either one will do for the common usage. They almost give the same results in general.

Personally:

I create my own reporting and monitoring tool using SELECT statements, modified MRTG (or if you want the 'canned' variety, Kibana from Elastic) and lots of Linux scripting. This way, I can tailor fit to my audience's "desire". This is some sort of give-want-they-want-to-see reporting strategy.

PREDATAR Control23

From my experience...

TSM Monitoring and Reporting is actually two IBM products, IBM APM and Tivoli Common Reporting. If you are familiar with IBM APM, it provides monitoring of TSM (using predefined select statements) in a graphical format (bars, graphs, pie charts, etc).

You can also configure the system for historical data gathering and send alerts in case there are errors in your TSM. Tivoli Common Reporting, connects to the APM DB to generate canned reports, mostly management reports for TSM.