Disable runstats

itdrew

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

We have a large DB (3.2 TBs) running on TSM 7.1.1 on AIX 7.1. Runstats seems to never complete on TSMDB1.BACKUP_OBJECTS and while it is running, we get some terrible performance. How can I disable runstats from starting, and how can I stop it from starting once it is running?

I have these entries in the dsmserv.opt file:

DISABLEREORGTable

DISABLEREORGIndex BF_AGGREGATED_BITFILES,BF_BITFILE_EXTENTS,BACKUP_OBJECTS,ARCHIVE_OBJECTS
DISABLEREORGCleanupindex
Thanks a ton!

Drew

PREDATAR Control23

There is no options to turn it on or off, or to cancel it. It will run as needed. Runstats needs to run periodically, otherwise your performance will get worse. Plus, as it's running, performance will improve as it gets closer to the end of it.

Ideally, you should move to 7.1.3.100 and accept the defaults. There has been a few changes with reorg with APARs fixed after the version you are running. Check this technote for recommended values at 7.1.3.100: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21967852

PREDATAR Control23

We have a large DB (3.2 TBs) running on TSM 7.1.1 on AIX 7.1. Runstats seems to never complete on TSMDB1.BACKUP_OBJECTS and while it is running, we get some terrible performance. How can I disable runstats from starting, and how can I stop it from starting once it is running?

I have these entries in the dsmserv.opt file:

DISABLEREORGTable

DISABLEREORGIndex BF_AGGREGATED_BITFILES,BF_BITFILE_EXTENTS,BACKUP_OBJECTS,ARCHIVE_OBJECTS
DISABLEREORGCleanupindex
Thanks a ton!

Drew

Like what marclant - it is a process that cannot be disabled.

This is another catch 22 issue wherein you have to 'bite-the-bullet' scenario.

Aside from moving to TSM 7.1.3, you may want to consider setting up another (or two) TSM instances to spread out the load/work.

PREDATAR Control23

P.S. - the reorg changes referenced by marclant were first introduced in 7.1.1.300, if you don't want to make the jump to 7.1.3+. I'm not sure I would say that these changes would impact a runstats issue, but is a good first step.

My guess is you're starting to get IO bound on your database volumes, so you'll probably want to start investigations around that.