Cleaning Tape is not moving to the DCS on IBM TS3200

Pliqui

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello ADSM community,

I have the following issue, Cleaning Tape is not moving to the DCS on IBM TS3200. I want to check in a cleaning tape on the Dedicated Cleaning Slot (DCS). Within the Web UI. Monitor Library --> inventory window i can see it (Inventory.jpg) but when i go to Manage Library --> Move Media cannot see it (Move_Media1.jpg and Move_Media2.jpg).

Checking the following document: IBM System Storage TS3100 Tape Library and TS3200 Tape Library. Setup, Operator, and Service Guide. Machine Type 3573

Found the following, which is also something i'm seeing on the Web UI (General.jpg)

Code:
Note: Enabling Auto Clean without first reserving a slot for the cleaning
cartridge will result in the library System Status screen (web UI)
reporting the following attention conditions:
v Media Attention
v Chk Media/Rsvd Slot

1.- How i can get this error when the inventory show a DCS?

Auto Clean is enabled in Configure Library --> General (General.jpg)

After reading a lot on this forum, the recommended way is that the library should take care of the cleaning and not TSM, but i cannot manage to move the cleaning tape to the DCS.

Also tried to check in the tape with TSM wit the following command

Code:
checkin libvolume LIB_1 CLNU11L1 status=cleaner cleanings=10 checklabel=no
which worked, here the log extract.

Code:
ANR2017I Administrator SCRIPT issued command: CHECKIN LIBVOLUME LIB_1 CLNU11L1 status=cleaner cleanings=10 checklabel=noANR0984I Process 383 for CHECKIN LIBVOLUME started in the BACKGROUND at 14:10:48.
ANR8422I CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Operation for library LIB_1 started as process 383.
ANR8323I 044: Insert LTO volume CLNU11L1 R/W into entry/exit port of library LIB_1 within 60 minute(s); issue 'REPLY' along wit
ANR2017I Administrator SCRIPT issued command: QUERY REQUEST
ANR8352I Requests outstanding:
ANR8323I 044: Insert LTO volume CLNU11L1 R/W into entry/exit port of library LIB_1 within 60 minute(s); issue 'REPLY' along wit
ANR2017I Administrator SCRIPT issued command: REPLY 044
ANR8499I Command accepted.
ANR2017I Administrator SCRIPT issued command: QUERY PROCESS
ANR8427I CHECKIN LIBVOLUME for volume CLNU11L1 in library LIB_1 completed successfully.

After that, i performed a library inventory but the tape stayed at a normal slot and wasn't move to the DCS.

2.- How can i manage to successfully check in the tape for auto-cleaning by the library or TSM?

Any other info required please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Attachments

• Screenshot.zip
    363.3 KB · Views: 13
PREDATAR Control23

I had the same problem with a TS3200 library. If I remember correctly I resorted to ejecting the magazine and manually placing the cleaning tape in it's dedicated slot.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

CoMaboy is correct, you should make the last slot as a reserved slot and manually put the cleaning cartridge into it.
For auto cleaning by the ts3200, you should not use TSM to manage the cleaning tape. Just let the library to do it.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello CoMaboy / SniperKing

Thank you very much for your input. Just need to know if i missed something, because when i was facing this issue that was the last thing i did (following my instinct). We put the tape directly into the DCS (Tape on DCS.jpg) and no check-in from TSM, but after 2 weeks and is the reason i opened this post, I received an email from the library saying that there is no tape for autoclean

Code:
Subject: Att: No tape for autoclean

Device      : LIB1
Attention : No tape for autoclean

Event Code:                      0x86 - no cleaning tape

This message was generated automatically from
IBM      3573-TL

But the tape was already on the DCS, like I said, perhaps i missed something? and from the Web UI, under Service Library --> Clean Drive everything was grayout, because didn't recognized it. Even know that the tape is on one of the i/o station and is not check-in (because i did a check out yesterday) is being recognized (Clean Drive.jpg)

Again, thanks for you time and your input.

P.D: Sorry for the zip files but i don't know why i can't upload the pics directly.

Attachments

• Screenshots 2.zip
    81.5 KB · Views: 5
PREDATAR Control23

Try disabling and then re-enabling autoclean in the webinterface now that the cleaning tape is in it's slot. Is auto clean disabled on your drives in TSM? Check q dr f=d

PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

Done, i checked and unchecked the autoclean on the Web UI and now I relocated the tape on the DCS (Inventory2.jpg). But is the same as last time, the cleaning tape is not in any slot and the clean button is grayed out (Clean Drive2.jpg)

Here the q dr command

Code:
tsm: ARMOS-BACKUP>q dr f=d

Library Name Drive Name   Device Type On-Line             Read Formats     Write Formats    Element Drive State      Volume Name Allocated to WWN            Serial Number  Last Update by     Last Update     Cleaning Frequency
                                                                                                                                                                            (administrator)     Date/Time      (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE)
------------ ------------ ----------- ------------------- ---------------- ---------------- ------- ---------------- ----------- ------------ -------------- -------------- --------------- ------------------ -------------------------
DB_FILE      DB_FILE1     FILE        Yes                                                           UNKNOWN                                                                 ADMIN               11/01/2012
                                                                                                                                                                                                 13:49:20
LIB_0        DRIVE_1      LTO         Yes                 ULTRIUM5C,ULTRI- ULTRIUM5C,ULTRI- 256     EMPTY                                     2001000E1114E- 9068092992     SCRIPT              07/09/2014     NONE
                                                           UM5,ULTRIUM4C,-  UM5,ULTRIUM4C,-                                                    820                                               10:05:49
                                                           ULTRIUM4,ULTRI-  ULTRIUM4
                                                           UM3C,ULTRIUM3
LIB_0        DRIVE_2      LTO         Yes                 ULTRIUM5C,ULTRI- ULTRIUM5C,ULTRI- 257     LOADED           B00150L5                 2004000E1114E- 9068019480     SCRIPT              04/10/2014     NONE
                                                           UM5,ULTRIUM4C,-  UM5,ULTRIUM4C,-                                                    820                                               15:53:52
                                                           ULTRIUM4,ULTRI-  ULTRIUM4
                                                           UM3C,ULTRIUM3
LIB_1        DRIVE_3      LTO         Yes                 ULTRIUM4C,ULTRI- ULTRIUM4C,ULTRI- 256     EMPTY                                     2001000E1112C- 1310153450     ADMIN               07/29/2013     NONE
                                                           UM4,ULTRIUM3C,-  UM4,ULTRIUM3C,-                                                    33C                                               13:46:17
                                                           ULTRIUM3,ULTRI-  ULTRIUM3
                                                           UM2C,ULTRIUM2
LIB_1        DRIVE_4      LTO         Yes                 ULTRIUM4C,ULTRI- ULTRIUM4C,ULTRI- 257     EMPTY                                     2007000E1112C- 1310261108     ADMIN               07/30/2013     NONE
                                                           UM4,ULTRIUM3C,-  UM4,ULTRIUM3C,-                                                    33C                                               12:57:58
                                                           ULTRIUM3,ULTRI-  ULTRIUM3
                                                           UM2C,ULTRIUM2

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshots 3.zip
    99.7 KB · Views: 8
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All,
To get red of the check media attention in the TS3200 Library after enabling auto cleaning do the following:

1- From Library configuration -> General Disable the auto cleaning
and make sure that the number of available slots is 44, the click apply.
2-Move the cleaning cartridge to the reserved slot
Manage Library -> Move Media
3- Go back to Library configuration -> General and Enable the auto cleaning

Regards,

~Yahia

PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

It's been a while but just want to add that the issue was resolved. I upgrade to the latest chassis firmware and now i see the dedicated cleaning slot and it's cleaning.

Really appreciate your input and insigths.