Delete backup directory

lipi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a backup with more than 150 millions of files. I want to delete a subdirectory of this backup, but performing:

delete backup /projects/grp32/user129/backup/ifs/ -deltype=all

Takes days and weeks. Is there any way to "instantly" delete a subdirectory from a backup?

Now it seems that TSM is examining everything in the subdirectory before deletion, why it should do that?
ANS1899I ***** Examined 13,053,000 files *****
ANS1899I ***** Examined 13,054,000 files *****
ANS1899I ***** Examined 13,055,000 files *****
ANS1899I ***** Examined 13,056,000 files *****
ANS1899I ***** Examined 13,057,000 files *****

Pd. /projects/grp32/user129/ is a VirtualMountpoint.

Can't be instant, it has to delete every object one by one.

Essentially the same result as if you had excluded that directory and ran an incremental. BTW, make sure to exclude it from future backups.

Since it's a virtual mountpoint, it would be quicker to delete the filespace as it would be server-side processing as opposed to client-server processing.

Can't be instant, it has to delete every object one by one.

Essentially the same result as if you had excluded that directory and ran an incremental. BTW, make sure to exclude it from future backups.

Since it's a virtual mountpoint, it would be quicker to delete the filespace as it would be server-side processing as opposed to client-server processing.

Hi Marclant,

Thank you, I also added it to exclude list.

Are "exclude.dir" and "delete backup" mutually-exclusive "operations"? What happens if, while I am running a "delete backup", an "incremental bckp" is performed (having excluded this directory)?

I cannot delete the filespace, since its a subdirectory inside this filespace :(

The backup will try to expire the same data that the delete is deleting. Risk of contention, may get object not found by whoever gets there 2nd. Won't really cause any problems other than possibly causing both operations to run slower.

The delete completely removes it, while the exclude would just mark it inactive until it expires. So when I said it was the same, it's not exactly true.

Back