Exchange 2010 Public Folder Database Backup in a DAG

dcharles226

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about backing up a copy of our Public Folder Database in a DAG configuration. So were are running Exchange 2010 in a DAG environment on Windows Server 2008 R2, with TDP for Exchange 7.1.1.

One exchange server is called Exchange01 and the other Exchange02. And in this environment we have Mailbox Database 01, and Mailbox Database 02. However, Public Folder DB1 only exists on Exchange01 and Public Folder DB2 only exists on Exchange02.

We have TSM installed only on Exchange01, which seems to back up three of the four databases fine. The only database that is not backing up is Public Folder DB2, which seems to be mounted only on Exchange02.

My question is, how can I backup the Public Folder DB2 successfully from Exchange01? Do I need to also install TSM on Exchange02? When scheduling a backup of Public Folder DB2 from Exchange01, I get this error:

ACN5073E None of the databases are backed up.

There is probably a very simple answer to this, but we are almost ready to put this into production and I want to be sure I am not doing anything wrong.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If you have any data - be it simple or databases - that reside solely on a node of a cluster and not on a common share, then you have to have TSM running on the node(s).

Why can't you put all the mailboxes into the shared environment and just do the backup from the virtual cluster name?

As far as I know, there is no shared environment in the way you're describing. There are two VMs (Exchange01 and Exchange02), which exist in a DAG set up and the mail database is copied over routinely.

From my understanding Tivoli can only exist on one host or the other, unless I'm wrong? So I guess my only option is to install TDP Exchange on the other host (Exchange02) to backup the Public Folder DB2.

Back