Expire Inventory

fadzlirot

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

when i run the expire inventory command, do they expire the files that have only 1 copy too? Is there a way to stop the file from expiring cos i still wanted it

PREDATAR Control23

I changed the policy to keep deleted file for 60 days to never delete. will that help?

PREDATAR Control23

The answer to your original question is it depends.

The short answer:
If an object is active, meaning it still existed on the client at the time of the last backup, that object will never expire. Active objects never expire. However, inactive objects, are subject to expiration and changing the retention can affect when they expire.

The long answer:
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21224145

If you change the policy to keep deleted files forever, you have the potential of having quite a bit of growth in your database and storage pools. I would not use that type of retention unless there is a valid business requirement for it.

PREDATAR Control23

if i never run the expire inventory command, does that mean the data will never start expiring?

PREDATAR Control23

Whether you manually run or not expiration, TSM will run expiration unless you have disabled it (set to 0 disables it and needs to be run manually; the default is 24 which means run every 24 hours).

If expiration is disabled, expiration will not run and you will see a constant TSM DB growth. TSM will keep the backup forever.

PREDATAR Control23

I found that a lot of backup files had expired and deleted from the servers. is there a way for me to recover it? undo the deletion

PREDATAR Control23

The short answer, no.

The long answer. Possibly, but it would involve restoring the TSM Server database to a date before the data got expired, audit all the disk storage pools and STG_NEW and STG_DELETE volumes from sequential pools. You will also loose all data backed up after the date you picked for the restore as well as data on volumes that were reclaimed and reused.

Probably too late now, but it's always better to get the retention requirements in writing from the data owners and have them sign off on it. This way, if they come back and ask you to restore data outside the retention, you are covered because they accepted the retention. If they want you to change the retention, no problem as long as they understand it only affects data that is not expired.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks...i guess trying to get it back now is too risky. But i am still in a bit of a confusion here.

I just notice that they begin expiring after i change the backup scripts from selective to incremental. I have not done anything with the class management. do selective do not expire deleted file? Is there a way to make the inactive file active again?

PREDATAR Control23

Selectives do not mark deleted files as inactive, only an incremental will do that. So when you ran the incremental, it would have marked inactive those files that had been deleted since the previous incremental. The client shows this as Expiring during the backup, and it only means that it changes the file to inactive and only inactive files are examined by the expiration process. Expiring during the backup doesn't mean they expired off the server at that instance, that will be determined by expiration later.

The only thing that can make a file active is to backup a file. Once marked inactive, it is inactive until the day it qualifies for expiration.