Complex backup policies

sandragon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

In the similar vein to my other topic, my management has just dictated we have to use a complicated retention policy for backups of our Databases.

They want the following:
Dailys at 6 days.
Weekly at 4 weeks
Monthly at 11 months
Yearly at 7 years.

The problem is, my DBAs are telling me that RMAN cannot handle multiple retentions. It's a single global retention and nothing else.
My understanding is that calling this line "CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF x DAYS;" in the RMAN script before each backup occurs, with x replaced by the number of days that equal our retentions would do the trick.

Am I wrong?

PREDATAR Control23

Unfortunately, retention policies are just unique and cannot be set to multiple UNLESS a complex policy structure is created.

This means that you set for the highest and delete as needed for all lower retention requirements. This is not practical, introduces complexity and possible failures.

It maybe possible to create multiple retention but you have to create multiple nodes for a single Oracle instance.

One other option, is to do a DB dump and backup the resulting dump through the BA client. This will have to be done for the longer retention requirements. This means leaving the shortest retention intact using RMAN.

See this link for details.

PREDATAR Control23

In the similar vein to my other topic, my management has just dictated we have to use a complicated retention policy for backups of our Databases.

They want the following:
Dailys at 6 days.
Weekly at 4 weeks
Monthly at 11 months
Yearly at 7 years.

The problem is, my DBAs are telling me that RMAN cannot handle multiple retentions. It's a single global retention and nothing else.
My understanding is that calling this line "CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF x DAYS;" in the RMAN script before each backup occurs, with x replaced by the number of days that equal our retentions would do the trick.

Am I wrong?

You're right ! TSM never expires data sent by RMAN.
The solution must come from DBA side.