Auto Client Deployment

sebbarfield

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi, I have been asked to configure Auto Client Deployment using the command line, I am confused around defining the schedule both with the objects and options parameters...

define schedule domain_name schedule_name action=deployobjects="deployment_package_location destination_for_package" options="-fromnode=IBM_CLIENT_DEPLOY_WIN -postnschedulecmd='relative_path\deployclient.bat schedule=schedule_nameautodeploy=noreboot nodeinfo=TBD' -subdir=yes -replace=all"startdate=4/20/2013 perunits=onetimeWith the objects is the destination_for_package a specific place in the tsm directory on the target server or can you point it to a folder you have to create i.e ..\IBM_ANR_WIN\?

With the options part is the deployclient.bat a script we create ourselves? or is it actually needed in regards to the running of the schedule?

I am working with TSM Server version 6.3.4 (6.4) and trying to deploy Baclient version 6.4.1.0

Sorry if I have been confusing in anyway.

Seb

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Trying to warm up this topic :)
I'd like to perform auto deployments also by command line (without Admin Center). Anyone figured out how it works?
We already figured out most of the process, earlier, when this feature worked only with Windows clients (digging in activity log). (Making devclasses, stg pool, policy structure, etc. for the autodeploy node datas.) But with Linux and AIX clients I found that next to "deployclient.sh", a "psdeployclient.sh" also exists in the install files. Which do we need to use? (I'm on v6.3.5.0)

Thanks in advance!

PREDATAR Control23

Hi ,

Any one did autodeployment from 6.3 to 7.1 version using command line , I'm trying to do in a Linux client , Process gets completed ,installables are pushed to the client but installation is not happening ..

PREDATAR Control23

These are the steps we used initially. Works great.

define devclass ibm_client_deploy_import devtype=file directory=/TSMDeploy

define stgp deployment ibm_client_deploy_import maxscratch=20

define domain ibm_client_deploy

define policyset ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy

define mgmtclass ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy

define copygroup ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy standard type=archive destination=deployment retver=nolimit

assign defmgmtclass ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy

activate policyset ibm_client_deploy ibm_client_deploy

import node IBM_CLIENT_DEPLOY_UNX devclass=ibm_client_deploy_import filedata=archive mergefilespace=yes volumenames=6.2.5.0-TIV-TSMBAC-LinuxX86.exp

import node * filedata=archive mergefilespace=yes devclass=ibm_client_deploy_import volumenames=6.3.2.0-TIV-TSMBAC-WinX64.exp

select hl_name, description from archives where node_name=’IBM_CLIENT_DEPLOY_UNX’ and lower(ll_name) like ’deployclient.sh’

select filespace_name, hl_name, description from archives where node_name=’IBM_CLIENT_DEPLOY_WIN’ and ll_name=’DEPLOYCLIENT.BAT’

define schedule policy1 deploy_sched_linux86 action=deploy description=deploy_642_package_to_client_nodes durunits=minutes perunits=onetime startdate=today starttime=10:00:00 objects="/tsm/maintenance/client/v6r4/Linux/x86/v642/v6422/* /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/" options="-fromnode=IBM_CLIENT_DEPLOY_UNX -postnschedulecmd=’/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v6422/deployclient.sh>/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v6422/upmin#schedule=deploy_sched#domain=standard#nodeinfo2=TBD’ -sub=yes -replace=all"

PREDATAR Control23

what does that deployclient.sh> refers , I'm trying without > , so is it the reason deployment doesn't install

postnschedulecmd=’/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v6422/deployclient.sh>/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v6422/upmin#schedule=deploy_sched#domain=standard#nodeinfo2=TBD’ -sub=yes -replace=all"

PREDATAR Control23

Can someone answer what > is supposed to be doing? From what I can tell is it's redirecting a zero length output file named the remainder the line.

PREDATAR Control23

I too would like to know what the > is invoking. I keep getting back a system error stating that /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v6422/upmin does not exist and it won't write to it. It can't be drawing the command line parameters #schedule=deploy_sched#domain=standard#nodeinfo2=TBD into the deployclient.sh because that'd be a <.

I get the deployment files pushed to the node, but the post schedule command fails because /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v6422/upmin doesn't exist.

PREDATAR Control23

Followed that guide to the letter. It still downloads the client to the node, then does nothing.

PREDATAR Control23

When you say "download the client to the node", I'm unclear what you mean. Have you bound the schedule to the client and recycled the dsmcad so that it picks the deployment schedule up?

PREDATAR Control23

Yes. And the schedule runs. The installer files are 'restored' to the client node, but the deployclient.sh fails to run.

def schedule dev_standard rhel5_deploy action=deploy objects='/tsm/maintenance/client/v7r1/Linux/x86/v711/v7114/* /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/IBM_ANR_UNX/' duration=1 durunits=hours perunits=onetime startdate=today starttime=12:15 options='-fromnode=IBM_CLIENT_DEPLOY_UNX -postnschedulecmd="/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v7114/deployclient.sh>/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v7114/upmin#schedule=rhel5_deploy#domain=dev_standard#nodeinfo2=TBD" -subdir=yes -replace=all'

when I go to /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/IBM_ANR_UNX/v7114/, all the rpms and the deployclient.sh are sitting there. The client version remains at 6.3.x. It did not update to 7.1.1.4

PREDATAR Control23

The only real difference I see is the mismatched quotes. What does your opt.sys file look like on the client?

PREDATAR Control23

I fixed the location from the client/ba/bin/xx to just client/ It installed without a problem. Go figure. Thanks for getting me to take a closer look.