TSM Tape usage

daveisme

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Our TSM server (ver 6.2) has been set up for about 6 months now and we have noticed that only a select few tapes are being used out of our tape pool. We have about 100 tapes and the TSM server is only using the first 20 -25 tapes over and over. When we query the pool it shows the tapes that have never been used as scratch. Why doesn't TSM use all the tapes. Is there a way to tell TSM to use a more random selection of tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

Post the results of "Q STG <your tape pool>" for us.

If you are not using collocation, TSM is going to write to tapes until they are full.

If you use collocation, it's going to use as many tapes as your MAXSCRATCH value will allow if you have nodes (of collocated by node), groups (if collocated by group) or filespaces (if collocated by filespace) that match or exceed number of tapes you allow the storage pool to use.

If you reclaim tapes that then become empty, I think (someone can confirm) that TSM is going to use the first available tape in your tape label sequencing, so if tape001, tape002, and tape003 become empty and available for use, TSM is going to use tape001 first.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks that answered my question TSM is using the first available tape in my tape label sequencing. I just wanted to know if there was a way to get it to use a wider range of tapes and not continue to use the same tapes over and over.

PREDATAR Control23

I want to estimate the number of scratch tapes will required for one year. Right now I have the amount data backed up per day. From that I need to generate the number tapes required for next one year. our daily backup retention period is 35days. Kindly give some advice on this

PREDATAR Control23

that is dependant on the data you will be backing up and if ther will any epansion going to happen.