help with include statement for backup

PREDATAR Control23

Well, the new backups will take the same space as the old backup. If you run expiration, reclamation and offsite reclamation, you will have space for to hold the older backups that got expired.

PREDATAR Control23

Well I know expiration runs! :) I don't think I get too much space with reclamation?
Here is my offsite copypool config. I am not as clear on reclamation settings.
But doesn't this have to do with the retention policy too?

tsm: TSM>q stgpool cvibu_offsite_copypool f=d
Storage Pool Name: CVIBU_OFFSITE_COPYPOOL
Storage Pool Type: Copy
Device Class Name: CVI_OFFSITE_COPY_LTO2
Estimated Capacity: 9,144 G
Space Trigger Util:
Pct Util: 93.8
Pct Migr:
Pct Logical: 99.8
High Mig Pct:
Low Mig Pct:
Migration Delay:
Migration Continue:
Migration Processes:
Reclamation Processes: 1
Next Storage Pool:
Reclaim Storage Pool:
Maximum Size Threshold:
Access: Read/Write
Description: CVIBU_OFFSITE_COPYPOOL
Overflow Location: OFFSITE_CVIBU_COPYPOOL_VAULT_at_Iron_Mountain
Cache Migrated Files?:
Collocate?: No
Reclamation Threshold: 100
Offsite Reclamation Limit: No Limit
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 44
Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 42
Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
Migration in Progress?:
Amount Migrated (MB):
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds):
Reclamation in Progress?: No
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 07/20/2015 18:20:51
Storage Pool Data Format: Native
Copy Storage Pool(s):
Active Data Pool(s):
Continue Copy on Error?:
CRC Data: No
Reclamation Type: Threshold
Overwrite Data when Deleted:
Deduplicate Data?: No
Processes For Identifying Duplicates:
Duplicate Data Not Stored:

PREDATAR Control23

Reclamation is not directly tied to retention, but kind of. Data expires due to retention, expiration expires the data creating empty spots in the middle of tapes. Reclamation frees tapes by moving the data into contiguous segments on new tapes, returning the old one to scratch.

When was the last time reclamation ran on the onsite and offsite pools? What threshold do you use?

PREDATAR Control23

Based on my act log for the last 7 days, I do not see this running for this offsite copypool. It appears to be running for a smaller SQL offsite copypool and working
I did not set this up and am not familiar with the config or how to set this up. I can see that the offsite copypool has the settings for reclamation but it is not running. Where is that set to run?

PREDATAR Control23

For me this has always been a gray area. I have data that should never be deleted. The files do not change and need to be permanently stored. Hence my conservative retention policy...
So I had a lot of data expire recently because of my bu config however, I do not think I got that space back on my tapes. I still have all the data on disk.
How could I get that back?

PREDATAR Control23

So I see that I can change my threshold lower than 100 to get some movement...
But does my retention negate that?
ver exists=2, ver del=2, retain extra ver=no limit, retain only ver= no limit.

PREDATAR Control23

Offsite reclamation is typically launched by an admin schedule. If your data never expires, you would not have a need to run reclamation, but since you had data expire because it was excluded, you should now reclaim that space.

You can use this to see how many volumes have more than 50% reclaimable space:
Code:
SELECT volume_name,pct_reclaim,pct_utilized FROM volumes WHERE pct_reclaim>50 AND stgpool_name='CVIBU_OFFSITE_COPYPOOL'

You can do it manually, since it appears it will be a one time deal anyway: HELP RECLAIM STGPOOL

More info:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl.../com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/c_reclaim_copy_adp.html

EDIT TO ADD: Since you are only keeping 2 versions, you can still obtain reclaimable space if the data changes a lot and these 2 versions get replaced by newer versions.

PREDATAR Control23

Well I did not get return on that select query so I just did a q vol of the stgpool to see the volumes. I found 2 under 50% marked as full. I will try reclamation but I still need more tapes to write to as this moves data to a new tape as the other becomes empty. My recent expiration used up several scratch tapes. They should process in this reclamation too, right?

PREDATAR Control23

You need to focus on reclaimable space, not space used, that's the number the reclamation process looks at.

Also, you said expiration ran, are you basing that on the backup showing expired files, or you have seen the actual expiration process complete successfully?

Run the query with a lower threshold. Try 30% or 40% for example. If you see you have several at a lower percentage, than you may need to run reclamation with a lower threshold, to free up more tapes. Best if you do that with the onsite reclamation first to free up some scratch tapes, then do the offsite reclamation.

PREDATAR Control23

No match found on the query, even using 10%. But is that not because I have my threshold at 100? Expiration did run but does not seem to qualify for those tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

The majority of my offsite tapes are at 98% utilization. So there may not be space as per reclamation? But I would like to recover the space from the expired files during backup.
How do files qualify to expire during backup processing and not during the expire inventory command that runs each night?

PREDATAR Control23

When a file previously backed up is later excluded, the client updates the server that the file needs to expire, so at this point, the file is flagged for expiration. When the expiration runs, the files are removed from the TSM inventory. If there is little reclaimable space on the tapes, it`s for one of those reasons:
- that the data that got expired wasn't taking too much space or
- the expiration process did not run to completion
- or the expiration did not run at all

PREDATAR Control23

I do not think it is running at all for this data.
I see expiration running (expire inventory command) everyday at 0400. Only my sql data qualifies. That is another node in TSM for me. I see reclamation run and qualify the sql offsite copypool as well. That is a 7 day rotation of tapes for me. Works great. (reclaim threshold=95)
The node I am backing up never qualifies for either process. I think the mind set in setting this up was, my data does not change nor expire. My incr backups can just run.
However, we did not think about the changing of a backup (ie adding encryption or exclusions) that would cause an expiration due to new bu requirements. (reclaim threshold=100, data exists=2, data deleted=2, retain extra=no limit, retain only=no limit). So I think the threshold and retain settings are causing these processes not to run on this copypool. I can see I have to reback up my prior years 2010 to 2014 to have a proper active file. They all look inactive due to my exclusions.

PREDATAR Control23

Oh, with retain extra=nolimit and retainonly=nolimit and 2 versions, this means that you get an active and inactive for every file. Since you backed up the file once, then enabled encryption and backed it up again, that gives you your 2 versions, and there is no time limit, so they will never expire.

PREDATAR Control23

Marclant, I was going to reply today just to say thank you for all of your time and thoughts on my post.
I have been side tracked with other issues since my last reply...

That is what I thought I understood, I believe I will have expired data on my tapes because I saw data expiring while trying to get the encrypted backup going. I am not comfortable changing the retention because I do have inactive files that are not on the server anymore due to space constraints, I can restore them if necessary and do not want to lose the only copy I have.

PS I ran a manual reclamation and recovered 2 tapes from my offsite pool