Proof that data was savely erased - for customers

Matti

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

one of our customers asked me to cancel his subscription to our TSM backup. He asked me to notify him, soon as his user data will have been saved.

As I never have thought through that: Is there any further read, on the topic of creating kind of a certificate, that prooves the erasure of customer data?

Thanks for your thoughts

PREDATAR Control23

You can show him the output of "delete filespace {nodename} *" and "remove node {nodename}".

Other than that, there is no proof.

Oh, and deleting the filespace removes all the entries for the data from the TSM DB, but the data is still on the tapes until overwritten. However the data is useless without the TSM DB to recover it.

PREDATAR Control23

Yeh,

in the back of my mind I had something like a protocol. If we do erase decommissioned hdds, for customers, there will be created a certificate with ontrack-tools, for instance.

So I just was playing around with the thought. Normally customers would use encryption anyways.

Thanks & cheers
Matti

PREDATAR Control23

Actually, you could still get the data off of tape once the entries have been erased from the TSM database. (I used to think as marclant does, but I was corrected.) There is a SHRED option for storage pools, but that's just for random access pools, so is kinda useless imho. The only way is to degauss the tape, or overwrite it several times. I'm with you though; if security was a concern the data should have been encrypted.