Excluded Files Still Being Attempted During Backup

CharlesTSM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hey all,

Sorry I've very new to TSM (as in a couple of weeks exposure).

I'm trying to tidy up the huge amounts of failures we get daily and have realised that most of them are being noted as failures due to the amount of failed files even if the job completes successfully.

I've been reading lots and playing around with exceptions however I cannot seem to stop TSM attempting to process files. For example MDF files, I've excluded all MDF files by using multiple attempts, I can see them excluded in both Q InclExcl and the backup GUI however I get these everday:

Line 1410: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 Normal File--> 2,608,660,480 \\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf ** Unsuccessful **
Line 1411: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 Retry # 1 Normal File--> 2,608,660,480 \\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf ** Unsuccessful **
Line 1412: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 Retry # 2 Normal File--> 2,608,660,480 \\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf ** Unsuccessful **
Line 1413: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 Retry # 3 Normal File--> 2,608,660,480 \\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf ** Unsuccessful **
Line 1414: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 Retry # 4 Normal File--> 2,608,660,480 \\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf ** Unsuccessful **
Line 1415: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf' failed.
Line 1416: 06/29/2015 03:48:07 ANS4987E Error processing '\\xxxx\d$\Databases\tempdb.mdf': the object is in use by another process

I'm guessing this will then become on of the failed files on the backup stats?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

C

PREDATAR Control23

Sorry guys been snowed under...

In my opinion the opt file is a bit of mess for most of these Servers once I understand this all better I will go through on a bit of a tidy up...

The opt file in question contains this:

NODENAME xxxx
TCPSERVERADDRESS xxxxx
PASSWORDAccess xxxxx
TCPPort 1500
ERRORLOGRETENTION 90 D
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 90 D
SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS
INCLUDE.FS "C:" SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS=VSS
INCLUDE.FS "D:" SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS=VSS
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\IBMBIO.COM"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\IBMDOS.COM"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\IO.SYS"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\Perflib*.dat"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dhcp\...\*"
INCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dhcp\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dns\...\*"
INCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dns\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\IBMBIO.COM"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\IBMDOS.COM"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\IO.SYS"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\Perflib*.dat"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dhcp\...\*"
INCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dhcp\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dns\...\*"
INCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dns\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\System Volume Information"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\...\Temporary Internet Files"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\Recycled"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\Recycler"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\$Recycle.Bin"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\System Volume Information\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\*.mdf"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\*.ldf"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\*.ndf"
exclude "*:\...\system32\config\...\*.*"
exclude "*:\...\system32\perflib*.dat"
exclude "*:\...\security\edb.log"
exclude.dir "*:\...\system32\wins"
exclude.dir "*:\...\system32\lserver"
exclude.dir "*:\...\system32\dhcp"
exclude.dir "*:\...\system32\config"
exclude.dir "*:\...\ntfrs\jet"
exclude.dir "*:\...\ntds"
exclude.dir "*:\...\System Volume Information"
exclude.dir "*:\...\Temporary Internet Files"
exclude.dir "*:\...\Recycled"
exclude.dir "*:\...\Recycler"
exclude.dir "*:\...\i386"
exclude "*:\...\cluster\clusdb.*"
exclude "*:\...\cluster\clusdb"
exclude "*:\...\UMS\Director\data\esntevt.dat"
exclude "*:\...\Documents and Settings\...\*EnterceptExceptions.dat"
exclude "*:\...\Documents and Settings\...\*EnterceptRules.dat"
exclude.dir "D:\appl\msi*"
exclude.dir "*:\...\system32\spool\PRINTERS"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\Svc.log"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\Svctmp.log"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\ntuser.dat"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\ntuser.dat.LOG"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\usrclass.dat"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\usrclass.dat.LOG"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\ntuser.dat.LOG1"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\ntuser.dat.LOG2"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\usrclass.dat.LOG1"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\usrclass.dat.LOG2"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\dsm*.log"

Hope this helps to shed some light on the issue!

Thanks,

C

PREDATAR Control23

When the dsm.opt file was updated, did we stop and restart the schedule service?

Any time when there is a change in the dsm.opt file, the schedule service need to be stop and restarted so that the new updates will be read.

A quick test to see if the TSM Client is reading the exclude correctly.
Attempt a backup via the TSM Client GUI, and see if you can backup the file that we are excluding.
There should be a red circle with a line through it on the file(s) that we want to exclude.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

Hey LED888 thanks for your reply... I have to admit I haven't stopped and started the service however I did check the TSM Client and the files do show with a red cross through them....

PREDATAR Control23

If your seeing the red circle with a line through it for the files in question.
The TSM Client is reading the incl/excl correctly.

Need to stop/restart the schedule service, and check the results of the next schedule backup.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

If your GUI is showing the files as excluded everything is fine.

With this line
you are excluding that specific file. As it is excluded you should not receive the Error processing messages in your logs.

What Sias suggested could be the reason. The changes on your options file are not read until you restart the processes.

PREDATAR Control23

Hey,

Right so the GUI shows they are excluded, the OPT file looks good, I restarted the scheduler service however.....

07/02/2015 03:34:18 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\xxxx\d$\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb.mdf' failed.
07/02/2015 03:34:18 ANS4987E Error processing '\\xxxx\d$\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb.mdf': the object is in use by another process
07/02/2015 03:34:18 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\xxxx\d$\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb1.ndf' failed.
07/02/2015 03:34:18 ANS4987E Error processing '\\xxxx\d$\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb1.ndf': the object is in use by another process
07/02/2015 03:34:21 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\xxxx\d$\MSSQL\LOGS\templog.ldf' failed.
07/02/2015 03:34:21 ANS4987E Error processing '\\xxxx\d$\MSSQL\LOGS\templog.ldf': the object is in use by another process
07/02/2015 03:34:22 ANS1802E Incremental backup of '\\xxxx\d$' finished with 3 failure

Furthermore the rabbit hole gets deeper as there are a lot more MDF, LDF and NDF files on this drive (like 30+ files) that are not showing in the log so must be being excluded successfully. It only seems to pick on these perticular files all of which show with the red cross on the GUI and should be picked up by the EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\*.mdf" lines....

The only reason why this is a frustrating is because if we have more than 17 (or 27 cannot remember) failures then it classes the whole backup job as a failure..

Thanks,

C

PREDATAR Control23

Now that we confirm that the schedule service have been stop/restarted.

It appears that temporary .mdf , .ndf and .ldf are created when the schedule backup is running.

With the above, I would have expected all files with .mdf regardless where its located on the system are excluded.

May want to add EXCLUDE.DIR D:\MSSQL\DATA\ to exclude the directory structure which in turn exclude ALL the files that are in the directory.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

Looking even further into your rabbit hole, Charles, I'd suggest you disable/remove these entries in the dsm.opt and try another backup.

SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS
INCLUDE.FS "C:" SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS=VSS
INCLUDE.FS "D:" SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS=VSS