I know nothing about TSM... But now I'm the admin.

Cerephim

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I've been assigned to a role in our company that I know nothing about.
Our tape library hasn't requested any tapes to be removed to long term storage in over a week.

How do I find out:
The architecture of our TSM system
The log files where successes/failures are reported.

I do know this much:
We have TSM installed on an AIX system
I have access to a Web GUI called
TIVOLI.GIF
Storage Manager Server
I have access to a command line interface on the AIX machine.
We have a Virtual Tape Library, and an HP Tape library.

I don't know the job flow to the VTL, nor to the Tape Lib.

Where do I begin?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi
Start with reading this redbook:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg244877.html

It is old but it is a very good introductory reading before diving deep into TSM. Keep in mind that the backend TSM proprietary database was replaced by IBM DB2 since version 6.1 (May 2009) which also was the end of the 32 bit server version.

For your punctual questions:
Go to your command line interface (dsmadmc) and run these commands:
query status (or just q st) server version and other server properties
query actlog begind=-1 shows the activity log since 1 day ago

Also on your AIX command line:
lslpp -l | grep tsm

Rudy

PREDATAR Control23

Do you want the output of those commands? The info they give doesn't mean anything to me.

PREDATAR Control23

5.5, ok. So the redbook is perfect for it. Go ahead with it.
BTW, 5.5 is EOS.

PREDATAR Control23

Yep, I know. That's why I can't reach out to IBM for assistance, and I'm floundering around in the dark.
Thanks for your help, btw.

PREDATAR Control23

The book that rore has suggested is the book that I read when I was in your situation almost 4 years ago. It's a great start point.

I could suggest that you take a look to the Administrator's Guide and Administrator's Reference that you can get from IBM Knowledge Center or from this link https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...ager/page/PDF versions for the latest release

If you are using TSM 5.5, the TSM Administrative Command Line is your best friend, use the Administrator's Reference to get to know the commands and understand the output that you receive.

The other thing I did was registering to this forum. Almost every basic question is already answered and if not, someone will know the answer you need.

Also think about migrating your TSM Server to a supported version.

PREDATAR Control23

Read the Redbooks and start typing 'QUERY' commands in the Administrative Command Line using the Administrator's Reference as a guide. They are only queries so won't break anything and will help you begin to understand your TSM environment. Enjoy !