TDP for exchange 2010 item level restore

wesd

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I tried a restore an outlook folder today to a point in time using the mailbox Restore Browser section of the recovery tab. I clicked on the required mailbox and specified a restore date of 04/04/2015. Everything seemed to work fine except for a problem that I can't understand.

When I browse the inbox within the restore browser, I can see emails from well in the past up until 04/04/15; this is exactly what I would expect - ie. restore the mailbox to how it looked on 04/04/15. However, when I browse any other folder such as 'sent items', 'deleted items' or any user-created folder, they all contain emails items with up-to-date timestamps (for example, the 'sent items' folder contains emails that I sent yesterday).

This behaviour baffles me. The only thing I can think of is that the restore has applied the current exchange log file (I restored a full backup so there were no incrementals to apply) but surely this would have been applied to the inbox folder as well as all the other folders. If it doesn't apply the current log (and the inbox contents suggest that it didn't), how can the restored folders contain up-to-date items?

Has anyone else experienced this or am I missing something simple in my understanding of exchange?

Back