TSM 6.3.3 / CentOS 6 - Server Hardware Fail

BDMcGrew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

Running TSM 6.3.3 on CentOS 6 and life was good until my hardware failed and I'm starting over with a new box and more importantly, a clean install of CentOS and TSM 6.3.3.

My raid arrays are intact so I have all my backup volumes and db backups but I don't have the volhist or devclass backups.

What is my best method for getting back up and running? I have not reinstalled anything yet, or I should say I haven't started anything yet. First off will be install CentOS and then I assume install TSM. Where do I go from there?

thanks,

-brian

FYI: Not sure if you are already aware of this.
CentOS is not an officially supported platform for the TSM Server or Client.
If you encounter any problems, and you call IBM TSM Support they are going to tell you the same thing. The tech may give some hints, if the hints does not work, then the os need to be on a support flavor of Linux before they would go any further.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21243309

Good Luck,
Sias

I understand that but I've run TSM since the early 5.X days on various versions of CentOS with no OS related problems ever. Make believe I'm running RHEL if you like, it doesn't matter to me. I have enough confidence in my OS and abilities on the OS to not worry about it.

When I'm hitting the shortfall in knowledge is restoring TSM from a clean install on a clean OS install. I can use RHEL if I need to or I can use Windows. IDC at this point. I just need to get TSM restored!

Thanks again,

-b

Your bigger problem is that you don't have a volhist, which is REQUIRED to do the restore. You can't just "make up" some stuff to recreate the volhist. You're probably going to need IBM's help on this...

The basic process to recover the TSM server on a new machine is step 8 here (but again REQUIRES a valid volhist, which you don't seem to have): http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl.../com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_scen_srv_recover.html

Back