Problems using integrated portal server command line...

kevlee

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Am logging on to Integrated portal as per normal (windows server - TSM 6.2). When I go into the integrated portal - manage servers - and try the command line for any of the TSM servers. I get the command line screen up but I cannot get anything displayed from any commands!! ( q pr, q assoc, etc, etc). All I get is a blank screen returned for each command.

I have just come back from leave and my laptop has performed numerous updates, one of them being Java 8 version 45. I am sure this must be down to either my internet or Java settings but can't seem to figure it out. Any Ideas????

PREDATAR Control23

Java is most likely the culprit.

My two cents - why not connect to the TSM server directly using dsmadmc instead of the command line from the Integrated Portal?

In any regards, try to down grade the Java version to what it was used to be or 'fix' the Integrated Portal via Windows Programs Install/Uninstall console. I believe that down grading to the older Java version fixes your issue.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks moon-buddy, I've tried going back to both Java 6 and 7 versions and still have the same issue. Am still investigating.

PREDATAR Control23

I agree with moon-buddy, use dsmadmc. I just install the TSM Client on my own laptop and do a custom install and select the Admin Command Line interface.

You'll have to start the TSM Client once to create a dsm.opt, or create one manually.

After that, you can create a shortcut to "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsmadmc.exe". Then edit the shortcut and add my connection information in it line in the screenshot.
upload_2015-5-27_12-30-30.png

I have a few of these for the various servers I connect to. Quick and easy to get an admin command line directly from my laptop. When I redirect an output to a file, it sends it to my local machine, which is much easier for viewing/editing after.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the info Merclant. I do use dsmadmc on some of our solaris clients in certain situations but really like what I get from using the command line from the integrated portal (e.g being able to get command line from multiple TSM servers easily, getting the command line to remember previous command history (to save typing similar commands), etc. This is so annoying because I have used this for quite some time now without any issues.
Also, as a matter if interest, do you have to download the dsmadmc exe separately onto your windows servers. I can see it and use on our unix type servers but I can't see the dsmadmc.exe on our windows clients after installing 6.2!!!!

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Kevlee,

DSMADMC is part of the TSM Client via a custom install, not default. So you just need to install the TSM Client on ANY machine you wish to use dsmadmc on. I always install it on my own laptop so that I can connect directly to any TSM Server without having to RDP or Telnet to it first. I can also connect to multiple servers, because I create multiple shortcuts, one for each server, by adding the option -id, -pa and -tcps to the shortcut.

Having said that, the one in TIP should still work, you'll need to upgrade to 6.3 though if you want to open a PMR about it, 6.2 went out of support at the end of April.