Collocation Groups

wchavis

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

I am new to Tivoli and I have a problem with no slots available for scratch. The prior administor created @20 collocation groups. I would like to merge/combine like groops into a single group. Can any one suggest a way to accomplish this?

PREDATAR Control23

First, make sure that all nodes are part of a group, because when you use collocation by group, if a node is not a member of a group, then that node is its own group. This is a common mistake which ends up consuming a lot of tapes.

You can use this command to get a list of all nodes that do not belong to a collocation group:
Code:
select domain_name,node_name from nodes where collocgroup_name is null

For each node that is not in a group, you will need to do add them to a group (unless they need to stay by themself):
Code:
define collocmember {collocgroup_name} {node_name}

For those that are already in a group, but want them into a different group, it will be a 2 step process, first remove them from the current group and then add them to the new group:

Code:
delete collocmember {current_collocgroup_name} {node_name}
define collocmember {new_collocgroup_name} {node_name}

PREDATAR Control23

First, make sure that all nodes are part of a group, because when you use collocation by group, if a node is not a member of a group, then that node is its own group. This is a common mistake which ends up consuming a lot of tapes.

You can use this command to get a list of all nodes that do not belong to a collocation group:
Code:
select domain_name,node_name from nodes where collocgroup_name is null

For each node that is not in a group, you will need to do add them to a group (unless they need to stay by themself):
Code:
define collocmember {collocgroup_name} {node_name}

For those that are already in a group, but want them into a different group, it will be a 2 step process, first remove them from the current group and then add them to the new group:

Code:
delete collocmember {current_collocgroup_name} {node_name}
define collocmember {new_collocgroup_name} {node_name}

PREDATAR Control23

I'm not sure about this, I know we cannot update a node when the node in question is accessing the server, not sure if about the collocation group. If it's not possible to update a node's group membership while it's accessing the server, worse case that will happen is that it will give you an error stating that, just retry when it's not accessing the server.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm not sure about this, I know we cannot update a node when the node in question is accessing the server, not sure if about the collocation group. If it's not possible to update a node's group membership while it's accessing the server, worse case that will happen is that it will give you an error stating that, just retry when it's not accessing the server.

PREDATAR Control23

What happens to data when I delete from collocation group 1 then define to group 2. will the tapes that were in group be freed up?

PREDATAR Control23

It will do nothing to the tapes, it will only apply to new data. When reclamation runs on the existing tapes, it will take the new collocation settings into consideration when reclaiming the tapes. So it will take a while before all the old data is collocated as per the new settings, unless you do a series of "move nodedata" for all the collocation groups to force the movement to happen now instead of over a long period of time.

PREDATAR Control23

It will do nothing to the tapes, it will only apply to new data. When reclamation runs on the existing tapes, it will take the new collocation settings into consideration when reclaiming the tapes. So it will take a while before all the old data is collocated as per the new settings, unless you do a series of "move nodedata" for all the collocation groups to force the movement to happen now instead of over a long period of time.

Thank You you have been most helpful.