migration, compression and tapes

descuder22

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All,

We have a primary stg pool stored in VTL (Protectier). The VTL compresses and deduplicates data by hardware. When it reaches 50%, it migrates the data to the tape library (TS3100).

The question is, when this migration takes place, the data is still compressed in the tapes?

Thanks in advance!

PREDATAR Control23

The normal way is:

1. Data coming out of a VTL is uncompressed
2. Data written to tape gets compressed IF system is set to "drive" format meaning compression is taken cared of by the drive

-

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you Moon-buddy. How can I find out if the migration made by the TSM server from the VTL to the tape is made lan-free?

Both the VTL and the TL are connected to the SAN.

Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

I had a similar environment in a previous job. The data will flow from the VTL to the TSM server then out to the physical tape drive. I don't know of a way to go directly from the VTL to the TL. Nothing should be using the LAN in this process unless you are somehow utilizing iSCSI.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you Moon-buddy. How can I find out if the migration made by the TSM server from the VTL to the tape is made lan-free?

Both the VTL and the TL are connected to the SAN.

Thanks!
LAN-Free is a term that applies to client backups and restores only in which the data is sent over the SAN instead of the LAN.

If your devices are SAN attached, then it's using the SAN for any data movement done by the server.