Removing A Media Tape - Keeping Data

markybee777

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I want to permanently remove a Media Tape from TSM but I want to keep the data that is on the tape

I believe this is the correct way to do it.

UPDATE VOL "MediaTape" access=readonly

MOVE DATA "MediaTape"

delete volume "MediaTape" discarddata=yes* Unsure if I should be using the Yes Option

CHECKOut LIBVolume "MediaLibrary" "MediaTape"

Any guidance would be appreciated

PREDATAR Control23

Well technically the data is going to be in the tape "forever" unless you overwrite it, but if you delete it from TSM it won't be easy at all to restore it. When you say "remove it from TSM" you mean only to physically remove it from the library or you mean to delete any reference to the tape in TSM?

PREDATAR Control23

delete volume "MediaTape" discarddata=yes*

The "delete volume" with the "discarddata=yes" should be a red flag.
ANY, delete command should be a red flag.
If you need to keep the data, do not issue the above command.
Later on if you attempt a restore, you'll receive a "no match found message" and your going to wonder what happen to the data for the volume in question.

Of course, once the data are deleted from the volume.
When then next client schedule backup run, the data will be backed up again, but on another tape volume. And if you attempt a restore the TSM Server will attempt to access the data on the other tape volume and not the volume that you think that contains the data.

Also, if you take out a primary tape volume from the tape library.
Space reclamation will never complete due to the volume not physically in the tape library.

1 - From the TSM Server, backup the primary pool to a copy pool.
Take the out the tapes in the copy pool along with a TSM Server database backup.

2 - If its specific with one node.
From the TSM Server, generate backup set for the node in question.

3 - Archive the data. from the TSM B/A Client perform an archive.
On the TSM Server, backup the primary archive pool to an archive copy pool.
Take out the tapes in the archive copy pool along with the TSM Server data base backup.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

Sias,

He's doing a move data first, so the tape will already be empty and scratch as far as TSM is concerned. The data will still be on the tape unless it's overwritten, but will be useless to TSM or anybody for that matterh

Since the tape will be scratch, it won't be possible to delete it from a pool, because it won't exist in a pool.

PREDATAR Control23

Opps, my bad.
Missed the "moved data" part.

- Sias