Opinions about Bareos, Bacula and Amanda

daduranp

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

I've always been a TSM guy (worked for the 3 letter company before coming to oh Canada :)) but I'm studying backup alternatives for a personal project so I would like to know if anybody has had any positive/negative experience regarding Open Source enterprise backup solutions like Bacula, its fork Bareos and Amanda.

Although it's a book from 2010, they mention good things about Bacula and Amanda in the UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook and I'm checking reviews and all the information I can but I would love to hear opinions from other TSM admins. Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

I've always been a TSM guy (worked for the 3 letter company before coming to oh Canada :)) but I'm studying backup alternatives for a personal project so I would like to know if anybody has had any positive/negative experience regarding Open Source enterprise backup solutions like Bacula, its fork Bareos and Amanda.

Although it's a book from 2010, they mention good things about Bacula and Amanda in the UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook and I'm checking reviews and all the information I can but I would love to hear opinions from other TSM admins. Thank you!

I too have the very same question. I would also like to add SEP to the list.
Today we have a very old version of TSM (EOL). should we pay IBM a large upgrade bill, or look to something new?
one issue we have that is interesting is the we "keep everything forever"......maybe 10 years in TSM today.
How are people finding dedup in the Open source clients and in the newer versions of TSM?
Thanks