[HOWTO] SAN zoning for TSM server - two SAN libraries

xyzegg

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

We are setting up a new stand-alone Tivoli Storage Manager Server (2x HBA QLE2560 Single Port 8 Gbps) for use with 2 tape libraries (Quantum Scalar I500), 5 LTO5 tape drives each one. Two SAN Brocade switches (no ISL - dual switch topology).

Should we use small zones consisting of just Server's WWPN and each Tape Drive's WWPN or we should use zones consisting of Server's WWPN and all the Tape Drive's WWPN? Are there other options available?

What is the difference in terms of performance, security etc?

Should we map five Tape Drives per HBA?

PREDATAR Control23

The way I would do this is to zone 2 tape drives per 1 server Fiber port. Thus, for a 5 tape drive library, I would need 3 ports. This is to accommodate the maximum throughput for tape drive read and write.

However, in your case, this is not possible since you have only 2 Fiber ports to serve two tape libraries. If you zone one server Fiber port for one tape library, you would not get maximum throughput for all your tape drives.

I suggest adding more Fiber HBAs on the server. Also, bear in mind the kind of bus your server has. The bus must handle the sustained maximum throughput that the tape drives can pump in and out plus an overheard of around 20 to 25 percent.

Last edited: