New Windows-Cluster, new Full-Backup ???

obiwan2

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

until today we had a Windows Server 2008 R2 Cluster with shared storage. The data of these shares were backed-up by the TSM-client on a daily basis.
Today we switched to a Windows Server 2012 R2 Cluster with new (!) shared storage and all data from the old storage was copied to the new storage using RoboCopy.

I have then done the following:
- I renamed the filespaces in TSM from \\oldclustername\drive$ to \\newclustername\drive$
- I made sure that the TSM Nodenames were equal

In order to prevent a new full backup, the volume ID's of the old shares were transferred to the new system.

Nevertheless, a test with "preview backup {driveletter}" showed that a full backup will be performed!

What must be done to prevent a new full backup ? Is there any chance ?
Thanks

obiwan

PREDATAR Control23

TSM sees this as a new setup even if the files are the same. This is so since it sees the new environment as is - NEW. The markers it had for the old environment are not there so it does a new backup.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks moon-buddy,

could you explain a "little bit deeper" which environmental changes affect the backup-method of TSM ?

We did the same thing some years ago also with two other Windows-Clustersystems....
- we used robocopy to get the same data onto the new disks
(robocopy Z:\ M:\ /copyall /e /LOG:c:\Scripte\GruppenLogfile.txt /W:2 /R:5 /mir /ZB /NP /XD z:\tsm)

-we changed the volume-id of the new storage-volumes to the old storage-volume values (you can do this with volumeid.exe)

TSM was happy with this steps and didn't do a new full backup....only the normal incremental backup, as he should...

Why (the hell) does TSM now performing a full backup ???

PREDATAR Control23

@marclant

Thank you very much for the link to this technote ! Very useful for the future....

It seems that some (a lot of) files were not correctly copied with robocopy. I've done a few (manual) incremental backups and could see, that TSM is backing up a lot of files....but not all ! So...that's not a (new) full backup.

Anyway...thanks again to all members for their hints !!

PREDATAR Control23

From previous experience, I find that files that only have permissions with local built-in account and domain accounts are normally handled fine, but those that have permissions assigned to other local accounts end up being backed up because they don't have the same SID, therefore they inherit the permissions of the destination and end up being backed up. Not sure that's your case, but something to keep in mind.