Different mgm classes for one VM

dndrk

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm trying to perform 2 VM backups with different management classes but the final backup procedure (IFFUL or IFINCR) resets the management class for all further backups of this VM.

For example:

- I have VM backups with "VM_MC_DISK" managment class

>>> dsmc q vm test.01 -inactive
Query Virtual Machine for Full VM backup

# Backup Date Mgmt Class Size Type A/I Virtual Machine
--- ------------------- ---------- ----------- ------ --- ---------------
1 03/31/2015 14:02:51 VM_MC_DISK 24.41 GB IFFULL I Test.01
2 03/31/2015 14:18:25 VM_MC_DISK 24.41 GB IFINCR A Test.01

- I'm trying to perform VM backup with "VM_MC_MONT" managment class

>>> dsmc backup vm test.01 -vmmc=VM_MC_MONT -mode=iffull
>>> dsmc q vm test.01 -inactive
Query Virtual Machine for Full VM backup

# Backup Date Mgmt Class Size Type A/I Virtual Machine
--- ------------------- ---------- ----------- ------ --- ---------------
1 03/31/2015 14:02:51 VM_MC_MONT 24.41 GB IFFULL I Test.01
2 03/31/2015 14:18:25 VM_MC_MONT 24.41 GB IFINCR I Test.01
3 03/31/2015 16:47:22 VM_MC_MONT 24.41 GB IFFULL A Test.01

Will retention policy and destination (Copy Destination, Versions Data Exists\Versions Data Deleted\Retain ExtraVersions\Retain Only Version) change together with managment class for existing backups?

It it possible to perform 2 VM backups with different management classes?

Thanks

This is normal. Full explanation here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21665032

Will retention policy and destination (Copy Destination, Versions Data Exists\Versions Data Deleted\Retain ExtraVersions\Retain Only Version) change together with managment class for existing backups?
The destination won't change, the destination is only used to determine where to send the data to during the backup. Once the backup is complete, that parameter is no longer used except for future backups. The retention parameters will be the one of the current management class they are bound to. So if your 2 management classes have different retentions, you could end up with less or more versions depending on how they differ.

It it possible to perform 2 VM backups with different management classes?
You would need to use 2 different nodes in order to use 2 different management classes.

Back