Specialized management class for big files

xyzegg

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Is it normal or acceptable to create a management class just for regular huge (+6 TiB) files? I'm talking about tar files containing dozens of database files. Our DBA team is using a custom shell script to generate the tar files weekly. At this moment, we don't know much of the nature of that file. Maybe we could take advantage of incremental backup of individual files, maybe not. Those large files are bound to a management class that specifies 90 days as Retain Extra Versions parameter. It seems to be acceptable for other tiny, small and medium files, but, in my point of view, it's not adequate to use approximatly 80 TiB ((90 / 7 (weekly backup)) * 6 (file size) + overhead) (first and important: Is this account correct or I miss something?) of space just to store primarily (old) backup versions. It is a requirement, but I could negotiate it with data owner. It represents a good percentage of available space we have today. And we know that we should work with some ("fatty") reserve. So, my idea is to create a specialized management class to handle big files like those ones.

Thanks,

Zegg

PREDATAR Control23

To answer your question - YES, you can create a different management class just for these type of files assuming these are contained in a specific directory.

On one hand, you asked 'why keep old files?'. The answer is recovery. If your DBA continuously clean up the database through data reorganization (deleting old data), they need to have a point-in-time to recovery old data from. Thus, the need to keep old files.

On the other hand, if they never delete data, then you can ask them to possibly reduce the number of backup files.

The key here: understand the data.