TSM Version check and Upgrade

Alva

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Dear Experts, You kind advice required.
1. Can someone let me know how do I find the version of Tivoli Storage manager installed on server.Is there a comand to find this.
When I check in Add/Remove programs the Version of TSM shows as 6.2.0.0, but when I launch the TSM CLI it says V5,Release 4,Level1.0
So how do I confirm which is the corect version.
2. The current OS version on my TSM server is W2K3, I need to upgrade the OS to W2K8 R2, Can you please let me know what version of TSM should I upgrade to and are there any documents for this i.e. migrating the TSM from current version to new version.
Note: I will only be using TSM for any restoration requests if we get, this is not an active backup server.
Many Thanks,
S

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture2.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 3
PREDATAR Control23

Dear Experts, You kind advice required.
1. Can someone let me know how do I find the version of Tivoli Storage manager installed on server.Is there a comand to find this.
When I check in Add/Remove programs the Version of TSM shows as 6.2.0.0, but when I launch the TSM CLI it says V5,Release 4,Level1.0
So how do I confirm which is the corect version.
Sounds like your server is 6.2.0.0 and the client is 5.4.1.0. If you look at the client header, it should show both the client and server version. Also, on the server you can issue QUERY STATUS
2. The current OS version on my TSM server is W2K3, I need to upgrade the OS to W2K8 R2, Can you please let me know what version of TSM should I upgrade to and are there any documents for this i.e. migrating the TSM from current version to new version.
Compatibility information: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&uid=swg21243309
Install/upgrade instructions for 6.3, you can also get to the instructions for other versions in the Knowledge Center: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...ibm.itsm.srv.common.doc/t_installing_srv.html

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
1. I did run the command Q Status and yes te output shows V6.2.3, have attached the screen shot.
2. In my case as the TSM is currently on W2K3, so I cannot do an inplace upgrade of TSM to V6.3. So my plan is to install TSM on W2K8 R2 server.And importantly I will be using TSM only for restoration purposes as and when required, it will not be taking any active backup.
So can I migrate the existing TSM database on to new W2K8 server, and move the drive onto the new server.

Attachments

• TSM_QStat.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 4
PREDATAR Control23

Yes you can migrate. Essentially you will be doing like a DR. You will backup your DB on the original machine, shut it down. Move library to new machine, restore your database on the new machine.

PREDATAR Control23

OK, would you please be able to provide me with some reference/configuration document.
or steps to do this.
How should I take the db backup will it be using TSM.
Any technote or article would be of great help.
Many Thanks,

PREDATAR Control23

What would you suggest that which version of TSM we should migrate to. Can we use the same existing version (6.2) on WIndows 2008R2? Is this version still under support?
As we are already having this version of TSM (6.2) do we need to again buy license for V6.3.

PREDATAR Control23

Can anyone please provide any documents for doing the DR steps i.e.
Current Setup: Windows 2003 with TSM 6.2
Migrate to: Windows 2008 and TSM 6.3 or later.
@marclant: Your expert advice please on this.