about AUDIT LIBR

fadzlirot

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

I read on a tutorial on how to use the audit libr. the tutorial says i need to disable session, stop all process and session and dismount all tape from drive. however, someone once told me i dont have to do stop all session (only process) and i dont have to dismount all drive. i just need to disable the session and make sure there is an empty drive. is it fine if i follow his way? will the audit be completed succesfully?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
my experience is that the AUDIT LIBRARY process waits until all drives are dismounted. Unfortunately it also blocks some operations (as far as I recall CHECKOUT LIBVOL is one of them) - so you can end up with a situation when AUDIT LIBRARY cannot end as it waits for other operation to finish - which in turn waits for AUDIT LIBRARY ... so you have to cancel one of them to release the deadlock.
So - if your drives are empty, you can run the AUDIT LIBRARY, even if there are other processes and sessions - as long as they do not use the library being audited.

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

AUDIT LIBRARY can run for a long time, depending on the size/type of your library. I wait until the end of the day before I run AUDIT LIBRARY, I try to run it at least once a month. I do not disable sessions nor do I block any processes. If you try to do an AUDIT LIBRARY while someone is trying to do a restore from tape, or have processes running that are using your tape drives, the AUDIT LIBRARY will wait or end up failing.

So, what Harry said, wait until your daily maintenance (DB BACKUP, EXPIRATION, MIGRATION, RECLAMATION, etc..) is completed, and your drives are empty before running AUDIT LIBRARY.