Create windows shortcut to dsmadsmc.exe

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi Pro's

I have made an shortcut on my desktop to dsmadsmc.exe with the following options:

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" -tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv -tcpport=1500

But when I double-click the shotcut it doesn't start. I can see it pops up and then disappears within milliseconds. I know I have seen this a couple of years ago but I can't remember how I solved it... Hmmm

Anyone that know how to fix this?

PREDATAR Control23

You have to cd to the Tivoli directory before you run dsmadmc.
Or, the working directory must be set to c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient

Syntax:

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" /tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv /tcpport=1500

Added:

By the way, there should be a dsm.opt file in the baclient directory even if it is empty

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

I do have an empty dsm.opt file and I have set the "Start in" to: "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient" but still it doesn't work...

PREDATAR Control23

I found the reason.... I tried to run the dsmadmc.exe -tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv -tcpport=1500 from the command line to find out any output error.
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmadmc.exe -tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv -tcpport=1500
ANS1398E Initialization functions cannot open one of the Tivoli Storage Manager
logs or a related file: c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsmerror.log. errno= 13, Permission denied

I installed the software as administrator and the account I use to execute the shortcut are a member of the administrators local Group. Administrators has Full Control to the dsmerror.log file... I then added my own account to dsmerror.log and added Full Control permissions and this solved my problem.
Strange...