TSM 7.1.1 - dsmserv query

ILCattivo

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I have a TSM 7.1.1 server running on RHEL 6 which I am using for a POC. It has been built exactley to the Tivoli Storage Manager Server 7.1.1 Documentation on the IBM Knowledge Center website , however the strange thing I am experiencing is that when I enter the following cmd within the OS logged in as the 'root' user

] service <instance name> status

I get......

Status of dsmserv instance <instance name>: stopped

I can however access the Server and all it's functions fine remotley via the AdminCL and run backups/restores successfully??

Surely I shouldn't be able access TSM if the dsmserv service instance isn't running?

Not a service - try "ps-ef|grep dsmserv"

Ahhh... Thank-you very much Sir, that explains it...

So does the 'HALT' cmd within the ACL stop that 'process' from running then until it's restarted manually or the server rebooted? I'm guessing so.

Thanks again.

Halt is entered via the TSM command prompt or through a script (outside of TSM - in the OS) which should be initiated by the instance owner and NOT root.

If you don't have the TSM server defined under /etc/inittab or /etc/rc.d, then TSM WILL NOT restart after a reboot (preferred way). TSM is then restarted manually.

Full disclosure - I haven't used the linux service scripts in 7.1 yet - but they worked fine in 6.3.

if you issue "service whatever status", it should tell you it's running. this tells me that either the configuration wasn't completed correctly, or the service scripts tsm 7.1 provides aren't correct. or maybe the TSM server was started in an odd way.

an OS 'halt' command should issue a kill -15 which nicely asks TSM to stop before a reboot...but it's probably a good idea to get the service stuff working correctly anyways.

my 6.3 service script seems to look for the dsmserv process by running this command:

running=`ps -ef | grep $progpid | grep -v grep`

where the progpid is found by looking at a pid file stored when the service was started:

progpid=`cat $pidfile`
pidfile="/var/run/${prog}_${instance}.pid"

So this means that if you didn't use "service whatever start" to start the instance, no pid file will exist, and the ps command won't be able to find the process id for dsmserv so that "service whatever status" can report correctly.

Back