Bypass User Id on Windows Client

Flounder

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

We are moving backup servers and I have been tasked with automating the client side and I am stuck on "Please enter your user id"

Here are my steps:
1. Stop TSM service
2. Update the .opt file with new port and serveraddress (TSM is installed in C:\..... and the .opt file is install in D:\...)
3. Run a .bat script to run dsmc
dsmc.exe query session -optfile=D:\%computername%_dsm.opt
4. Start TSM service

In step 3, I get prompted for user id and password. Is there a way to bypass the User ID?

PREDATAR Control23

No you can't bypass it. But if you know the password you can store it in the registry so that there is no prompt in the future using the SET PASSWORD command
example:
Code:
dsmc set password oldpw newpw
Just put the old password the same as the new password, since the password is not stored yet in the registry, there is no old password and the new password is the current password.

PREDATAR Control23

Also, there are cases I have seen that the existing TSM service would not start properly to do backups when the dsm.opt file has been altered to point to a new TSM server. So, you may want to delete the service and re-create these.

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

That is true if the TSM Server name in QUERY STATUS is the same and the password is the same. But not if servername or password is different because the server name is used when storing the encrypted password in the registry.

That is why I deleted that portion from my post! I did realize that he is pointing to a new TSM server.

PREDATAR Control23

Sorry, I was too quick. You can delete these posts to keep it clean if you want.

PREDATAR Control23

No you can't bypass it. But if you know the password you can store it in the registry so that there is no prompt in the future using the SET PASSWORD command
example:
Code:
dsmc set password oldpw newpw
Just put the old password the same as the new password, since the password is not stored yet in the registry, there is no old password and the new password is the current password.

I get the following response: Environment variable password oldpw newpw not defined

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks everyone I got it to work. Here is what I was doing wrong and my working command. I was missing the path to the *.opt file.

dsmc.exe set password -optfile=D:\TSM.opt oldpw newpw