how to schedule month-end backups..

hdale911

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,
First post to ADSM. TSM-5.5, I am trying to schedule all of my client MONTH-END backups to run on the following day:

Last Business day of each month. (not a sat or sunday). Is there an easy way to do this? I have played with enhanced schedules and have yet to see a way other than manually running it for 60+ clients. currently I just run the monthlys on the first sat/monday of each month but for a bank on the trading floor this is not collecting the correct auditable data.
thx in advance for taking a peek.
Hugh

current way is manually:

su -
dsmc i -se=monthly

monthly automation schedule is:
tsm: TSM1600>q sched mon12 M.SB0023 f=d
Policy Domain Name: MON12
Schedule Name: M.SB0023
Description:
Action: Incremental
Options:
Objects:
Priority: 5
Start Date/Time: 09/30/2008 21:00:00
Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Schedule Style: Enhanced
Period:
Day of Week: Mon
Month: Any
Day of Month: Any
Week of Month: First
Expiration:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 02/01/2010 15:15:14
Managing profile:

You can try to from the following for enchanced schedules, but this will only make it happen at some point during the last week, unless you also choose a specific day. The problem there is that the day you pick might not fall in the last week of a month.

.-WEEKofmonth--=--ANY--------.
>--+----------------------------+------------------------------->
'-WEEKofmonth--=--+-ANY----+-'
+-FIrst--+
+-Second-+
+-Third--+
+-FOurth-+
'-Last---'

Thank you DMS19,
That won't get me the last 'business day of each month'. Unfortunately I think I just need to manually run them until I find a select script out there that does this.. Pretty expensive software for not being able to specify:

month = any
week = last
day = last (last day of month, and if day=sat or sun, then day=friday)

or schedule each server way in advance using the below startdate variable..

STARTDate
Specifies the date for the beginning of the window in which the
schedule is first processed. This parameter is optional. The default
is the current date. Use this parameter with the STARTTIME parameter
to specify when the initial startup window of the schedule starts.
You can specify the date using one of the values below:
more... (<ENTER> to continue, 'C' to cancel)

Value | Description | Example
-------------+------------------------+------------------------------
MM/DD/YYYY | A specific date | 09/15/1998
TODAY | The current date | TODAY
TODAY+days | The current date plus | TODAY +3 or +3.
or +days | days specified. The |
| maximum number of days |
| you can specify is |
| 9999. |

If your clients are set to prompted you can just kick off an immediate client action schedule - not the best way, but beats logging onto all the clients to kick off manuals.

Are you retaining the month end backups longer? Or under a different nodename? Whats different that you can't just use the normally scheduled daily backup from the last business day of the month?

Let me give this a little more thought.

i back up same client under different nodenames sb0025 and sb0025.mon (monthly). different storage pools and copy pools associated into DRM for the monthly backups..
Main trick is to automate this 'floating' month end day... not sure what you meant by 'prompted' but I have the monthlys automated now, but the month end is never the scheduled day on TSM.

You can achieve this by doing Day of the Month in enhanced schedules. You can either specify ANY or a number from -31 through 31, excluding zero. Negative values are a day from the end of the month, counting backwards. For example the last day of the month would be -1, the next to the last would be -2 etc.

That should do the trick....and then if you are in fact keeping these for longer times etc perhaps create a new node name and schedule service for these paticular back ups?

In the client DSM.opt/sys you can have schedmode set to prompted or polling. Prompted and client action schedules will give you more control over "forcing" to the minute backups. Polling will allow the client to poll every few hours to see when the next backup is. Prompted means the server prompts the client to back up "now"

you are the man.. Much thanks.
I do believe you understood and answered my question perfectly!
than you again!
Hugh

TSM1600>q sched mon12 m.sb0025 f=d
Policy Domain Name: MON12
Schedule Name: M.SB0025
Description:
Action: Incremental
Options:
Objects:
Priority: 5
Start Date/Time: 09/30/2008 21:30:00
Duration: 12 Hour(s)
Schedule Style: Enhanced
Period:
Day of Week: Any
Month: Any
Day of Month: -1
Week of Month: Any
Expiration:
Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 03/29/2010 12:43:02
Managing profile:

TSM1600>

I've had a similar requirement presented to me and stumbled across this thread. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that this solution schedules the backup to last *day* of the month, but not last *business day* of the month (i.e., if last day of month is Saturday, backup should be scheduled for Friday).

I've had a similar requirement presented to me and stumbled across this thread. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that this solution schedules the backup to last *day* of the month, but not last *business day* of the month (i.e., if last day of month is Saturday, backup should be scheduled for Friday).

Well, the original requirement was for backup at the end of the month regardless on which day it falls on. If you need the last business day, then use last week of the month limited to Monday to Friday only.

Guys, I was looking this topic and I have a similar problem.
I need to run a daily backup into TSM except at last day of the month.
As IT 28 OR 29 ( for February ), 30 OR 31 for the other months.

I was thinking , if I set the executions that backup using the Day of Month parameter and delete the last day (March 31st for example), TSM will bring this exclusion for all last days of each month like April 30th ?

Guys, I was looking this topic and I have a similar problem.
I need to run a daily backup into TSM except at last day of the month.
As IT 28 OR 29 ( for February ), 30 OR 31 for the other months.

I was thinking , if I set the executions that backup using the Day of Month parameter and delete the last day (March 31st for example), TSM will bring this exclusion for all last days of each month like April 30th ?
Why not do: "dayofmonth=-1"?
DAYOFMonth
Specifies the day of the month to run the schedule. This parameter is used only with enhanced schedules. You can either specify ANY or a number from -31 through 31, excluding zero. Negative values are a day from the end of the month, counting backwards. For example, the last day of the month is -1, the next-to-the-last day of the month is -2, and so on. You can specify multiple values separated by commas and no intervening blanks. If you specify multiple values, the schedule runs on each of the specified days of the month. If multiple values resolve to the same day, the schedule runs only once that day.
The default value is ANY. ANY means that the schedule runs on every day of the month or on the days determined by other enhanced schedule parameters. DAYOFMONTH must have a value of ANY (either by default or specified with the command) when used with the DAYOFWEEK or WEEKOFMONTH parameters.
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...srv.ref.doc/r_cmd_schedule_client_define.html

Sorry, I re-read your post, it doesn't exactly work. You want your daily backup to run from day 1 to -2, but it doesn't look like it's possible to specify a range in Dayofmonth.

Sorry, I re-read your post, it doesn't exactly work. You want your daily backup to run from day 1 to -2, but it doesn't look like it's possible to specify a range in Dayofmonth.

My scenario is this, my client runs the backup directly to disk ( to save time ) for monthly closing , which occurs every last day of the month. The backup is performed by DB2 team manually , so it can not executed by TSM. To avoid forgetfulness (as happened according to the past history), I would like to delete ( inhibit ) the execution of the last day of each month, I am new to the BUR storage area, I was talking to my co-workers about this and we could not reach a conclusion on how to do this in a simple way , without having to create new schedules what further ahead would create problems to give maintenance.

You could do something like this, have an admin schedule that runs on the last day of the month to change the start date of the daily backup schedule a day ahead, which will be the first of the following month:
Code:
define schedule SKIP_LAST_DAY type=admin SCHEDStyle=enhanced cmd="update schedule {domain} {schedule} startdate=+1" starttime=00:00 dayofmonth=-1
So on Feb 28, it will update the start date to March 1.

You could do something like this, have an admin schedule that runs on the last day of the month to change the start date of the daily backup schedule a day ahead, which will be the first of the following month:
Code:
define schedule SKIP_LAST_DAY type=admin SCHEDStyle=enhanced cmd="update schedule {domain} {schedule} startdate=+1" starttime=00:00 dayofmonth=-1
So on Feb 28, it will update the start date to March 1.

Cool Marciant, just for clear, this schedule will run every last day of each month right ? I mean, for March 30th, changing backup of March 31st to April 1st, right ?

If you use my command as is, on March 31st, at midnight (change from 30 to 31st), before the backup of the 31st runs, it will change the start date to April 1st.

If you want to run it on the March 30th, you have to change the startdate to +2 and dayofmonth to -2. The key is that whatever date/time you choose is that it's after the backup of the 30th, but before the one of the 31st, and that the start date brings you to the first of the next month.

Back