Communication betweenTDP-node(target node) and local DSMAGENT(Agent node)

knutho

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm backing up multiple Exchange 2010 servers with Data Protection for Microsoft Exchange Server, using VSS.
After a bit of fiddeling I have no problem setting this up.

However one of my servers have a special network configuration:

exch01.temp.com
IP 10.0.0.11
Netmask /24
GW 10.0.0.1

I dont want the backup traffic to congest the network, so I have set a local route to the backup network:

C:>route print
Persistent Routes:
Network Address....Netmask...............Gateway Address....Metric

exch01.temp.com is given a external IP in the backup network. 10.5.5.21.

The problem arises when the TDP-node(target node) tries to contact the local DSMAGENT(Agent node) through CAD.

I'm getting this error message:
ACN0520E Failed to connect to Local DSMAGENT Node 'TEMP-EXCH01' at address:port '10.5.5.21:1581'.
Verify that the TSM Client Acceptor Daemon (CAD) is installed, configured, and running properly.

Does anybody know if it is posible to force the TDP-node(target node) to contact the local DSMAGENT(Agent node) on a spesific IP?
Where does it get this info in the first place? It seems it must be from the backup-server since it is the only server that is aware of the backup-network.

I am not able to find much documentation on CAD, so any contribution is welcomed.

So you have two NICs with different IP addresses, right? If so, and the original setup has bind to the public IP, all you have to do is to redo the TSM setup. Specify the backup IP address to use in the dsm.opt file in the entry: TCPCLIENTADDRESS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Thank you moon-buddy. I tried to set TCPCLIENTADDRESS, both on the target and the agent node with no luck.
I use SCHEDMODE Polling, so I dont think TCPCLIENTADDRESS is recognized at all.

The server has only one NIC. The backup-traffic is separated by routing it through a different gateway.
The outside IP of this gateway is 10.5.5.21, and there is no way to initiate inbound connections through this gateway.
So the TSM server thinks that the client IP is 10.5.5.21.
Somehow the TSM server reports this IP back to the target node, and the target node tries to contact the client node on this IP.

The problem is that there is no way to override this information. There is no way to controll the communications between the target node, and the client node.
My opinion is that the target node should contact the agent node on 127.0.0.1:1581.

My opinion is that the target node should contact the agent node on 127.0.0.1:1581.

This won't happen if the node is physically different from the TSM server. IP 127.0.0.1 is a loopback address.

If you really need a separate route to the TSM server, you must install a new NIC.

Sorry, you misunderstand me.
The network setup is not the problem, just the cause of the problem.
I use this setup on several servers, and it works just fine with a normal backup-client.
I use SCHEDMODE polling because i want all traffic to be initiated from the client, not from the server side.
With this setup there is no need for firewall-configuration on the client side, because the server will never contact the client.

With Exchange 2010 there is no option for legacy backup, so I have to enable VSS backup. This is done by having the backup client act as a proxy for the TDP-client.
This means that I have to install the CAD service and have it listen on port 1581.
When Exchange backup starts, the TDP client "asks" the backup client to do backup for it (act as a proxynode). Its this "asking" that is not configurable.
Both clients are residing on the same server, so 127.0.0.1:1581 would be reasonable.
Instead the backup server looks at which IP the TDP node initiates contact, and sends this info back to the TDP client.
The TDP client now tries to contact the backup client on a public IP which is non reachable.

Hi - did you solve this? I believe there is an option TCPCADADDRESS xx.xx.xx.xx that you can set in agents optionsfile. I usually use TCPCADADDRESS localhost (when target and agent are on the same server.) Also set LOCALDSMAGENTNODE nnnnnn in TDPEXC.CFG where nnnnnnn is the nodename of the agent node.
/G

Back