Can stopping expiration stops file deletion?

tariq.kaifi

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi, could be strange question, but curious to know, is this possible?

I know my some XYZ data will going to expire (say after 5 hours from now) when expiration will start. But, I need to restore them tomorrow (one day required to recall the tapes, dont have them onsite).
So, if I disable the expiration now, will I be able to see (or restore if so lucky) them tomorrow?

BR, T

Hi, could be strange question, but curious to know, is this possible?

I know my some XYZ data will going to expire (say after 5 hours from now) when expiration will start. But, I need to restore them tomorrow (one day required to recall the tapes, dont have them onsite).
So, if I disable the expiration now, will I be able to see (or restore if so lucky) them tomorrow?

BR, T

Why don't you move them to another policy with a retention according to your neccesities?

Hi ,
i think you should be able to restore even if expiration runs and if you have Reuse delay Set >1 day . they should be way which i am not sure, but i am sure this where reuse delay can help you.

make syre that your expire inventory job does not start by
1. Uppdating your daily job that runs the expiration
2. Set expire intervall to 72 otherwise tsm will run expiration every 24 hours ( default behaviour)

I have actually don setupts where expiration is always done once a week just in case.This does not seem to affect performance enough to cause a problem in smaller environments.
/good luck

Hi ,
i think you should be able to restore even if expiration runs and if you have Reuse delay Set >1 day . they should be way which i am not sure, but i am sure this where reuse delay can help you.

The short answer, when I'm asked a question similar to the above quote: no, you can't do this.

The long answer: in theory, you can do it. It means you're restoring an older TSM database backup, and (probably) recovering from the tapes that are in a "pending" state. It's massively disruptive, a right royal pain in the backside to do, and if you're not extremely careful (including taking a TSM database backup just before you do the TSM DB restore, followed by restoring that database backup once the recovery is complete - NOT a complete list of the precautions you need to take), you'll lose all of the data backed up, archived, and/or HSM migrated since that database backup was taken. I would only even think about doing this if it was a "do this or the company goes under" situation; doing it even once sets a precedent, and it leaves you open to a hell of a lot of pain when people start pestering you for that oh-so-critical file that they deleted a month ago and didn't think about until they needed it this morning. This sort of usage is not what was intended when IBM/Tivoli put the reusedelay parameter in place.

Hogmaster pretty much has the answer to the original question - check the admin schedules, and any administrative scripts that might run expiration, to make sure it doesn't start; kick it off once you've done the restore.

Back