Script / dsmc

onetrickpony

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
i have to backup a lot of files every two hours.

so i try to make a script and schedule with windows task scheduler:

cd c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient
dsmc incremental -archmc=INC_BUP_2HOURLY "D:\*" -description="Inc Backup" %date%" -subdir=yes

but there is no archmc for incremental backups and i need other retention for those files.

thx for your help.

Is there a need to have this process bind to different retention than normal nightly backups? If so perhaps creating a nodename_2hr or something to that affect with its own dsm.opt file and change what the data binds to as far as policy sets.

Otherwise,
I believe if you use the binding to the long term policy set and set in the dsm.opt file on the client or a client option set that paticular node is associated with you'll get the retention you are looking for.

You should also be able to create a 2 hr schedule with enhanced schedules within TSM itself. Then you'll be able to report on the status of the backups.

Last edited:
You will need to create a new management class (with different retention) in this existing policy domain and bind this node to this management class/domain.

I suggest you take a look at this redbook from IBM, espacially chapter 9; "Policy Management", it will explain TSM way of doing what you need:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg244877.pdf (IBM Tivoli Storage Management Concepts)

i've created two dsm.opt and two different tsm scheduler. it seems like it works.

you are very friendly. thanks a lot guys.

Back