TSM Data Deduplication

pfsubaru

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone heard of this, if so which version are they come with this feature.

If you are going to consider this, take a look at some of the webcasts and redbooks. In my opinion, it still has a lot to be desired: it is not "inline", or real-time, and eats up a lot of system resources. First, define your requirements, then evaluate it against separate appliances, such as datadomain.

Joining a Tivoli User Comminutity (TUC) will give you lots of resources: http://www.tivoli-ug.org

I tested it a bit, and I was very disappointed : the dedup ratio was around 2. A datadomain in similar cases dedups with a ratio of at least 4 ou 5.

In addition, Datadomain compresses with gzip or lzip the deduplicated data, going regularly to ratios around 10 for a file server.

And TSM is still unable to perform compression at the pool level. So you can achieve nearly as good ratio by just activating compression on the client.

I really wonder why IBM bothered to develop a deduplication algorithm just to do not better than a good old Gzip :down:

I read that TSM 6.2 will support client side deduplication.That may make this more interesting. I am really on the fence with inline vs post-process deduplication. I can't get the sort of performance some of my customers demand with inline deduplication.

I just read the pdf on DD, is this true ? you cannot DD on a DISK stg ?

Planning for deduplication
Careful planning for deduplication can increase the efficiency of the setup process.
Before setting up storage pools for deduplication:
v Determine which client nodes have data that you want to deduplicate.
v Decide whether you want to define a new storage pool exclusively for
deduplication or update an existing storage pool. The storage pool must be a
sequential-access disk (FILE) pool. Deduplication occurs at the storage pool
level, and all data within a storage pool, except encrypted data, is deduplicated

Not on a DISK device class, but a FILE device class, which is disk.

I've been working on a couple of projects with TSM deduplication. First off, it's post-processing, which I'm not a fan of. Second, it eats up a lot of resources; both disk and CPU. You will have to run your own tests to see if it's worth it or not.

For instance, on a smaller site, I ended up having to compress the backup data at the client site, reducing the data by over 75%. The added space savings from dedup is not worth the overhead, so I turned dedup off. At another installation I have loads of resources and dedup is running fine.

One caveat: the identification processes only FLAGS the deduplication blocks; you don't actually save any space until you run reclamation.

I just read the pdf on DD, is this true ? you cannot DD on a DISK stg ?
Yes, it's true because DD is very bad at managing direct access files. But you just have to use a FILE stg which works very well.

Back