TSM Client Silent Install script

keteran

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Someone may have already posted something like this but I couldn't find it with a quick search, so here's mine.

This script stops running schedulers, installs tsm and auto registers with the server. It then associates the client node with a random schedule. It has been tested to work with the 5.5 client.

Code:
net stop "TSM Client Acceptor"
net stop "TSM Client Daemon"
net stop "TSM Client Acceptor Daemon"
net stop "TSM Client Scheduler"
net stop "TSM Scheduler"
net use x: /delete
net use x: "\\xxxx.com\systemdata\Server Setup\TSM Client - X32"
Start /wait msiexec /i "x:\IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client.msi" RebootYesNo="No" REBOOT="Suppress" ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR="c:\program files\tivoli\tsm" ADDLOCAL="BackupArchiveGUI,BackupArchiveWeb,ApiRuntime,AdministrativeCmd" TRANSFORMS=1033.mst /qn /l*v "c:\client_log.txt"
Copy x:\dsm.opt "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\" /y
c:
cd "\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient"
dsmcutil remove /name:"TSM Client Acceptor"
dsmcutil remove /name:"TSM Client Daemon"
dsmcutil remove /name:"TSM Client Acceptor Daemon"
dsmcutil remove /name:"TSM Client Scheduler"
dsmcutil remove /name:"TSM Scheduler"
dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxx register node %computername% %computername%
dsmcutil inst scheduler /name:"TSM Client Scheduler" /node:%computername% /clientdir:"c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient" /optfile:"c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsm.opt" /password:%computername% /validate:yes /autostart:yes /startnow:yes
set /a schednum=%random%
set /a schednum=schednum * 6/32768
IF %schednum%==0 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_EARLY_AFTERNOON %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==1 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_EARLY_EVENING %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==2 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_LATE_AFTERNOON %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==3 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_LATE_EVENING %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==4 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_LATE_NIGHT %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==5 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_NIGHT %computername% & goto :endif

goto :endif

:endif

PREDATAR Control23

The client uses the local hostname as the node name and that works for me so I don't set that anywhere, except when I'm dealing with TDP's.

PREDATAR Control23

First, Keteran I thank you for this very useful script!

Secondly, I would like you explain to me this part:

set /a schednum=%random%
IF %schednum%==0 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_EARLY_AFTERNOON %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==1 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_EARLY_EVENING %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==2 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_LATE_AFTERNOON %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==3 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_LATE_EVENING %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==4 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_LATE_NIGHT %computername% & goto :endif

IF %schednum%==5 dsmadmc -id=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx define assoc STANDARD WIN_NIGHT %computername% & goto :endif

I understand this is to associate TSM Client with a schedule but I don't understand how it works : %schednum% etc....

PREDATAR Control23

The client uses the local hostname as the node name and that works for me so I don't set that anywhere, except when I'm dealing with TDP's.

How does this eliminate editing the dsm.opt file?

I too am using the computername for the registration process but the client configuration still requires dsm.opt configuration.

PREDATAR Control23

First, Keteran I thank you for this very useful script!

Secondly, I would like you explain to me this part:

set /a schednum=%random%

I understand this is to associate TSM Client with a schedule but I don't understand how it works : %schednum% etc....

He is setting a variable to a random number then trying to get it to be between 0 and 5. Then assigning that as the schedule number.

PREDATAR Control23

How does this eliminate editing the dsm.opt file?

I too am using the computername for the registration process but the client configuration still requires dsm.opt configuration.

I copy a dsm.opt file that I use across most of my windows servers during the install process

Copy x:\dsm.opt "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\" /y

Since the client by default uses the computername as the nodename, you dont actually have to add the NODENAME value to the dsm.opt file.