TDP Exchange - Restore Exchange DB

Noob

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need to restore an exchange DB from over a year ago and I am having problems with it. The original exchange server is no longer in existence and so I am attempting to do the restore on to an alternative exchange server that has exchange installed on it.

The process of the back up at the time went as follows node>tsm serv 1 (disk)>tsm serv 2 (tape). The disk to tape move happened every few days. The DB was moved to tape a very long time ago and the tape has been identified and loaded in to the tape drive....the DB is no longer on disk.

My idea was to edit the DSM.OPT on the restore server to that of the old server that is no longer. Then through the GUI select all objects and select the DB on the specific date in question....no problem here. When I hit restore the client almost immediately returns a message Restore Failed. ANS1314E (RC14) and the act log on tsm serv 1 returns a message of ANR0548W Retrieve or restore failed for session...blah...processing file space...blah...ending with -error detected.

I have checked the tape volumes for access values and all are readwrite. I'm currently running an audit on the volume that was moved from TSM srv 1 to TSM srv 2 in the remote hope that the system will post audit recognize the volume for the restore.

Is there anything else I can try if the restore post audit fails? Am I following the correct process or is there an alternative?

Thanks guys

Hi DanGiles

Yip I have got the vol on tape and i'm trying to figure what the correct way is to restore the vol (..bfs..) from the tape to the stg so that I can do the file restore. I have never done it before so it's taking quite awhile. I looked at your link which I had been looking at as well I did not get the information I was expecting to get from the link. When I tried the select statement it returned a unsuccesful message. I tried the same statement with the appropriate change in values for a different server and I got the same result.

Why do you have a .bfs file on tape, how did you put it there? Can you explain exactly what you have done previously, and what you are trying to do there?

HI BBB

When I do a q con on the tape it lists a whole lot of files that are blah.bfs.blah. we have 2 tsm servers in the process here, TSM1 contains the pri stg pool to which all the nodes perform there backups to. When the threshold is met the data from the stg pool is then moved to tape on the 2nd TSM server. The chap who setup our TSM enviro (long gone) said that when the data is moved from the pri stg on TSM01 to tape on TSM02 its encapsulated in a "TSM" file which judging from the contents of the tape is .bfs What I am trying to do is restore an exchange DB which is in one of the .bfs file on the tape as when I use the gui (on the node to which I want to do the restore) i get the error ANS1314E (RC14) and the actlog shows a ANR0548W error detected message.

Sorry BBB missed the last half.... so what I have done so far

1. On the node to which I want to restore the Exchange DB i have edited the DSM.opt file
2. In the exchange GUI select all objects and it listed the DB in question from a year ago.
3. Selected it, select replay logs and mount DB and hit restore - fails with the message code in the previous post.
4. On tsm srv 1 moved data from the BFS file to the pri stg and attempted a restore - no joy fails with the same message.
5. Run audit on all vols with a fix = no
6. Checked the access to all vols = tapes concerned where intially unav so I changed them to readwrite.
7. Currently mucking about with tdpexcc to one list all the backups which it appears to be doing and then to restore the DB through tdpexcc.

You probably guessed it...I know very little about TSM

How did you do step 4, moving the bfs file?

Can you post all of the "q act" messages on the server from when you do the restore?

Back